How Many Horn Elbows are There ?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JeffR1
Victor III

How Many Horn Elbows are There ?

Post by JeffR1 »

I'm trying to find out what machine this is, and what size the back bracket is in relation to the horn elbows Victor has made.
So far I think I have identified 3 of them, the smallest on the Victor I is 1-¼ inches.
The Victor II is 1-½ inches and the Victor III and above is 1-⅞ inches.

I got the seller to measure the distance of the back bracket and it seems just short of 1-⅞ inches, it's more like 1-¾ ???

Was there another elbow between the Victor II and IV specifically for a Victor III ?

Here's the measurement the seller gave me, if use his scale, I get something closer to 1-¾, not 1-⅞.
I've never come across an elbow that is 1-¾ of an inch.

Here's the link to the auction:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/403221938855?mk ... nl%3Dmkcid

I'm not even sure if the seller has a Victor II, or III, since I have read that some of the Vic II's did come with column's.
The logo is so dark, it can't be made out.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Back Bracket Measurement.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: How Many Horn Elbows are There ?

Post by gramophone78 »

The listing is a Victor III.

All Victor III's through VI use the same size nickel elbow (the Victor VI being gold plated). The very late models use a slip in elbow and look very different.

Early Victor E's and Victor 1's (8" table) use a very small elbow.

All Victor II's and late Victor 1's (10" table) use the same size elbow.

So, there are three Victor elbow sizes use on Victor back bracket mounted horn models.

Your Victor IV elbow will fit the machine listed.

Hope this helps.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Yes, it helps very much, thankyou ! :)

Looks like I may not be bidding anyway, it's amazing how these machines with missing bits go so high, at least this one has a cabinet that isn't all butchered up.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

The machine in that auction is actually a III. The plated parts are either filthy, (best case), or oxidized and the back bracket looks faded. A replacement tone arm, reproducer, crank and horn adds quite a bit to the cost of a restoration. That said, the current price sees fair being that the motor and case are probably worth at least that, especially of someone has the other parts hanging around. I also has a dealers tag. If I didn’t already have a nice III, I would be interested.

The I and II had a single spring motor and the II that had columns had the Humpbacked cabinet. This is definitely a III.