Amberola DX

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Amberola DX

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I've heard the Amberola DX uses a Fireside motor and a diamond B reproducer, leading me to the question...
Could you use a DX as a 2/4 machine?
With a reducer ring and a model C, and model H, you could play nearly every cylinder exceptiong brown wax.

pg1876
Victor O

Re: Amberola DX

Post by pg1876 »

Although I have neither a DX or a late Fireside, my expectation is that an 'off-the-shelf' DX does not have 2 minute gearing.

My guess would be you would need a proper combination gearing set, assuming this can actually be installed, and then probably a Model O reproducer rather than a C and H.

From a use, cost of upgrade, and machine integrity standpoint (assuming the above is possible), it may make sense to simply invest in a 2 minute machine or a 2/4 minute Home or Triumph (which I believe both have stronger motors than the Fireside- certainly the Triumph).

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

:D :D cannot avoid thinking that an Amberola DX is a kind of phonograph with a Dolby system, or an equaliser, or a MOSFET phonograph. :D :D
Inigo

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

pg1876 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm Although I have neither a DX or a late Fireside, my expectation is that an 'off-the-shelf' DX does not have 2 minute gearing.

My guess would be you would need a proper combination gearing set, assuming this can actually be installed, and then probably a Model O reproducer rather than a C and H.

From a use, cost of upgrade, and machine integrity standpoint (assuming the above is possible), it may make sense to simply invest in a 2 minute machine or a 2/4 minute Home or Triumph (which I believe both have stronger motors than the Fireside- certainly the Triumph).
oh yeah, I was just wondering IF it could be done. Obviously it wouldn't work wonderfully.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I like the thinking outside the box. Unfortunately a jack of all trades “tends” to be a master of none. Having an assortment of machines with individual purposes tends to be the way to go, (Brunswick Ultona being a partial exception). At least that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Yes, just like converting a Fireside Model B. The Model B is pure 4 minute, however, all you need is the gears off of a model A, and you've got it! Just like converting a Model E Standard (which is pure 4 min) to play 2/4 minute. You just need the gearing taken from a Model D or F, and you then have a 2/4 min machine. I have a DX that is 2/4 minute. Who did it is anyone's guess. A dealer could have converted it for a customer when it first came out, or a later collector could have added it. When my buddy found this particular machine, about 20 years ago, it came with an O reproducer!! But, it is a sad story! My friend took off the O reproducer, as he wanted to keep that, and then sold the machine, without reproducer, to me. I still have it! The sad part--my friend cleaned out his car. he had put the O in a McDonald's bag, that was in his car at the time he originally purchased the machine. When he later cleaned out his car, he just gathered all the trash, including, unfortunately, that bag, threw out the trash somewhere, and only thought of his mistake sometime later!!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

gsphonos wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm Yes, just like converting a Fireside Model B. The Model B is pure 4 minute, however, all you need is the gears off of a model A, and you've got it! Just like converting a Model E Standard (which is pure 4 min) to play 2/4 minute. You just need the gearing taken from a Model D or F, and you then have a 2/4 min machine. I have a DX that is 2/4 minute. Who did it is anyone's guess. A dealer could have converted it for a customer when it first came out, or a later collector could have added it. When my buddy found this particular machine, about 20 years ago, it came with an O reproducer!! But, it is a sad story! My friend took off the O reproducer, as he wanted to keep that, and then sold the machine, without reproducer, to me. I still have it! The sad part--my friend cleaned out his car. he had put the O in a McDonald's bag, that was in his car at the time he originally purchased the machine. When he later cleaned out his car, he just gathered all the trash, including, unfortunately, that bag, threw out the trash somewhere, and only thought of his mistake sometime later!!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA
Depends on the Fireside B, I think. I have a 2/4 that doesn't seem to be converted.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

The Fireside B is just like the Edison Standard Model E. They both are 4 min only machines, from the factory. However, if they are converted, you would never be able to tell the difference, as they just don't have the second gear on the mandrel shaft. If you put the gearing on, the machine still would look exactly the same. I suspect many original customers may have still had some of the 2 minute cylinders, and still wanted the option to be able to play them, and the dealer simply put in the omitted gearing, and you now had a 2/4 minute machine that came from the factory 4 min. only. So, your Fireside Model B may well have had the 2/4 min gearing from the beginning of its life, but it most likely came from the factory to the dealer 4 min. only.

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

gsphonos wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:56 pm The Fireside B is just like the Edison Standard Model E. They both are 4 min only machines, from the factory. However, if they are converted, you would never be able to tell the difference, as they just don't have the second gear on the mandrel shaft. If you put the gearing on, the machine still would look exactly the same. I suspect many original customers may have still had some of the 2 minute cylinders, and still wanted the option to be able to play them, and the dealer simply put in the omitted gearing, and you now had a 2/4 minute machine that came from the factory 4 min. only. So, your Fireside Model B may well have had the 2/4 min gearing from the beginning of its life, but it most likely came from the factory to the dealer 4 min. only.

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA
well, that sure is interesting!
Now if I could only get a new (old) case for it... The original was poorly refinished, and shoddily repaired with a crack all the way along the back side. Plus, there are random screw holes inside the case, and the inside bottom was painted silver.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That seems a maneuver by a previous owner, to easily clean the grease and oil drops from the bottom wood board. Although it is easier by simply installing a sheet of aluminium paper or a food try of suitable size, which you can simply change when dirty.
Inigo