OT - Help to identify color organ with disco ball

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ymg200
Victor O

OT - Help to identify color organ with disco ball

Post by ymg200 »

A relative of mine has this machine and he wants to part with it. I cannot find anything similar online....
What company could have possibly produced this? What could be a fair price? Would anyone in this forum be interested?
The machine is located in Brooklyn, NY.
Thank you.
Attachments
color_organ_disco_ball.jpg

vintagetenor
Victor I

Re: OT - Help to identify color organ with disco ball

Post by vintagetenor »

It looks like a modern (1970s era?) receiver and turntable, custom fitted into a fancy cabinet with some visual extras. I would not guess at a value because, in my opinion, its value lies primarily in the value of the turntable and receiver.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

You may want to post this on a forum more suited to this period of equipment. I'm sure there are a few forums out there that can help answer all your questions.

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

First of all, this is not an organ. It is also not a jukebox or a talking machine. It is a 1970s stereo system, installed, as already mentioned, in a fancy cabinet with lights. Looks like these are not separate components (turntable and receiver) but rather what used to be called a compact or combine, an all-in-one unit. Therefore, the quality and value of the components is minimal. Without the cabinet and lights, such a stereo would be worth maybe $50 to $75, and that's in perfect working condition. It is nevertheless a cool period piece and I am sure someone will want it, just not here. Try asking at AudioKarma.org

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

It's likely a SoundDesign Disco- Tek machine. They made these in a lot of different configurations. Most had 8 track decks, but it looks like this one has a cassette player which is unusual.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Wow, it is definitely representative of it's time period! It's so bad that it's good! At one of our estate sales I would price it between $250 and $300 if in good working order.
Mike Wohl

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That dates from circa 1978-1980. There were a variety of types available, and I remember seeing them for sale in various catalogs--Wards, Sears, etc.. Here's one I spotted doing a google image search for Disco Phonograph OR Record-Player:
Capture.JPG
FROM -- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/255438610088521906/

OrthoFan