Stuck Springs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JeffR1
Victor III

Stuck Springs

Post by JeffR1 »

According to the YouTube videos of the dyslexic genius, this grease is the go-to stuff.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB0010 ... sionRank=1

However it did not work for me, on my triple spring motor, the first spring unwind and released the centre peg from the inner part of the spring further on down.
This resulted in the disengagement of the peg in the centre.
The spring(s) further down would not release, creating the problem.

I've read that I have to use graphite grease or type of moly grease.
Another YouTube video suggests to use ones own bulk graphite and it mix with Vaseline.
I would not use Vaseline as it oxidizes and dries out too easily, there are many other better clear greases out there that are synthetic and have a longer life that can be mixed with graphite.

Any thoughts on this ?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Stuck Springs

Post by gramophone78 »

I would recommend using our search feature and you will find a multitude of great threads on this subject. Most are in our "Tips & Tricks" section.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

It would not be the grease type that released your springs. I have used his green grease but I still like moble 1 synthetic wheel bearing greese better.

If you packed to much grease into the spring container, that may be an issue, but the odds are that the springs did not get locked into position correctly.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

Order yourself some graphite flakes no 2 and petroleum jelly. Best and proper way. Good luck.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Thanks everyone.

First off, yes I could have used the search function, but I find that even when I'm specific, too may redundant pages come up _ I did try that at first.

Yes, the shaft was properly locked into the centre of all three springs, the motor worked well at first, then it did stop.
I took it apart and the farthest spring from the crank had disengaged, and that one gets wound first, moving the spring barrels by hand would release the farthest spring and allow the others to continue to unwind _ I had to continue to do this until the other springs were un-wound.

I also plan on contacting this tribologist and see what he has to say, I would rather not start mixing dry graphite at this point.

I'll update this thread when I find out more.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JeffR1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 pm Thanks everyone.

First off, yes I could have used the search function, but I find that even when I'm specific, too may redundant pages come up _ I did try that at first.
Have you checked the search option to just show the "first post of topics only"? Really cuts down on redundancy.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:55 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 pm Thanks everyone.

Have you checked the search option to just show the "first post of topics only"? Really cuts down on redundancy.
That's better, but information over-load now. ;)

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

And here is what the Tribologist said _ interesting, I just copied and pasted his answer.

"An unusual application. Being a high end audio nut I'm interested.

I could murder all these sellers. They don't give you the base e.g. Lithium, Lithium complex, Calcium complex, Polyurea etc & they don't give the penetration (thickness) e.g.000, 00. 0, 1, 2, 3.

You will not get our ideal product in small packaging. I don't know what you would do with 180Kgs.

I suggest get MOBIL SHC POLYREX 102 EM A number two Polyurea and add 3% moly to it. NOT graphite ~ the particle size is too large. If you find it too thick you can safely stir a little light oil (sewing machine type) oil into the thickener to get it to the desired consistency.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

These type of products usually go into sealed for life bearings but will work equally well in a concaster in a steel plant to paper machines to computer hard drives.

Your option & add 3% moly. Good luck"

https://www.amazon.ca/Super-Lube-311...016GTSBY&psc=1

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The link is to a video I made which shows how I used new grease in my newly replaced A250 spring barrel. Worked great for me.
https://youtu.be/e5H1q4c5UdU
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."