Model O reproducer VS Diamond B for Blue Amberols

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Model O reproducer VS Diamond B for Blue Amberols

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

So, I have a 2/4 machine and currently have a Diamond B reproducer with it. I'm wondering- will a Model O reproducer play BAs as well as a Diamond B, or would I want to keep the Diamond B whenever I get the model O?
Also, the model O reproducer CAN play Amberol wax cylinders, right?
Thanks all,
Gunnar Anderson

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Model O reproducer VS Diamond B for Blue Amberols

Post by Roaring20s »

This is interesting to me too. :geek:
I'd like to hear from those who have both types of reproducers.

James.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

It will, but celluloid cylinders will more rapidly wear a flat on the sapphire stylus. That endangers any wax Amberols that you might play with that stylus. The Diamond B (and other diamond stylus reproducers) were intended to play celluloid. Best practice is sapphire for wax, diamond for celluloid.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

So, I guess the next question is, is the "O" a better sounding reproducer than a "C" or a "H"?

James.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

I do not own a model O reproducer, but simply based on the way they are built and from what I have heard, the model O should have a better sounds quality than a C or H because of the larger diaphragm, in the same way that a model N, R, and S does. When comparing the sound of a model N to a diamond C, the Diamond C is definitely better in sound quality, but of course you are restricted to celluloid 4 minute cylinders. The model O is as desired and expensive as it is because of its good sound, practicality (not needing to remove the reproducer and change settings) and relative rarity.

IMO, if you want to be able to play every type of cylinder most conveniently and at the best sound quality, you would want to have a model B for brown wax, a model O for 2 min and wax 4 min, and diamond C for 4 min celluloid.

Roaring20s
Victor V

Post by Roaring20s »

Mormon S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:21 pm IMO, if you want to be able to play every type of cylinder most conveniently and at the best sound quality, you would want to have a model B for brown wax, a model O for 2 min and wax 4 min, and diamond C for 4 min celluloid.
Gunnar, thanks for starting this post.

Mormon, thanks for that input. That scenario is the way I thought it might be. I have that covered with my plans to max-out my Standard B. Of course the "B" reproducer will need a reducing ring for the horizontal carriage. ;)

James.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

JohnM wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm It will, but celluloid cylinders will more rapidly wear a flat on the sapphire stylus. That endangers any wax Amberols that you might play with that stylus. The Diamond B (and other diamond stylus reproducers) were intended to play celluloid. Best practice is sapphire for wax, diamond for celluloid.
I could not agree more.
My sapphires don't go anywhere near celluloid cylinders so they will probably out live me.
This is reason my Amberola 1a has a Model M and Diamond A reproducer.
I learned the hard way many years ago and destroyed some really good wax Amberols by using a Model H on both wax and celluloid.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Roaring20s wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:03 pm So, I guess the next question is, is the "O" a better sounding reproducer than a "C" or a "H"?

James.
I mean, it's a slightly lesser quality model M, isn't it?

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Mormon S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:21 pm I do not own a model O reproducer, but simply based on the way they are built and from what I have heard, the model O should have a better sounds quality than a C or H because of the larger diaphragm, in the same way that a model N, R, and S does. When comparing the sound of a model N to a diamond C, the Diamond C is definitely better in sound quality, but of course you are restricted to celluloid 4 minute cylinders. The model O is as desired and expensive as it is because of its good sound, practicality (not needing to remove the reproducer and change settings) and relative rarity.

IMO, if you want to be able to play every type of cylinder most conveniently and at the best sound quality, you would want to have a model B for brown wax, a model O for 2 min and wax 4 min, and diamond C for 4 min celluloid.
That sounds good. However, I don't think I'll need a diamond B for a while- brown wax really doesn't show up in my area (north Midwest) and I'd bet conditions aren't too hospitable for it.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think you mean you won't need a Model B (sapphire) reproducer for a while.
A Diamond B is what you really should use if you intend playing Blue Amberols, and any other celluloid 2 or 4 minute cylinders in your collection.
For ordinary black wax 2 min cylinders all you'll need is a common Model C (sapphire) reproducer and appropriate retaining ring, or to play 4 min wax as well, a Model H or K will allow you to.
If it were me, I'd keep the Diamond B, and get a Model K with retaining ring.
The K and ring would be far cheaper than an O, and will play all your black wax while still delivering great sound quality.