Small phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Small phonographs

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I've always been interested in the various small machines- Thorens portables, odd tabletops, etc, so let's see some of yours!
Last edited by gunnarthefeisty on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Small phonographs

Post by gramophone78 »

You may want to check our UK & European and "Machines" section. There are already some great multi-page threads going strong on this subject in both these sections. We have a "search" button that can take you to some great threads regarding some of your current questions and interests.

Here is just one for you to enjoy: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18333&hilit=picnic+phonograph

Hope this helps.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

My Berliner toy gramophone. It works, just need the records.
Blain
Attachments
P1000358.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Some small ones...

Jerry B.
Attachments
97C82FFC-2D47-42BD-8488-90572E237DE8.jpeg
EAE2EA4B-AAFE-46CB-A3C9-083849CF19F0.jpeg
9C8269D3-7A2C-486B-ACF1-1356861BEC6D.jpeg
D906CD8C-A83E-4964-9983-567924AD03CD.jpeg
tempImageOSb5Bu.gif
tempImageZ4N2n1.gif

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

They might be a little small to see but this is where I keep some of my smalls.....
2020-11-22 15.20.25.jpg

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Jerry B. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:03 am Some small ones...

Jerry B.
that's gotta be one of the strangest horns I've seen on any cylinder phono

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Here's maybe the smallest working machine, erroneously labelled "Miniature Old-Fashioned Victrola" by the maker in 1983.
Here's a link to it playing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j4bblmhijmmx ... a.mp4?dl=0
Bob
Miniature Old Fashioned Victrola 1983.png
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Those Poynter machines are pretty nifty.

I got a good deal on a Gem Model A, keywind style with the banner decal and green oak case, recently & am to take delivery of it soon; it needs help mechanically but the outside looks like it will clean up nicely without requiring a refinish. Nice & original. I did get to handle it before purchase & these things are adorable.

Edison Gems are about the size of a box of cigars but not quite as smokey. I'd suggest save up for the maroon Gem with two-piece Gem horn--if properly attuned they are nice to play an occasional record on, mostly as demonstration pieces. It will be a great display platform for some kind of really interesting horn.

The small phonographs I'd like to find are the Stewart round machine, the Vanophone cast-iron tabletop, the Little Wonder, and the Columbia Q on aftermarket base. They're just nice little shelf-sitters but can still play nicely, and with mostly metal construction it's easy to make them look good. Should start looking to buy a small Oxford BV Graphophone to go with the Gem--the smallest, cutest Columbia-built machine with a case.

Columbia also made fascinating openworks Standard Talking Machines, small Graphophones, and more.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

I sure do like those Stewart machines. Anything that's at least a little unique always catches my eye. It's really a shame how some of those off brands are really just the same, though. Always nice to see one that's a bit different

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Stewarts are not super rare, but finding them with good tonearms is harder than it should be--the pot-metal parts used often got smashed when things fell on them. They're kinda clanky-rattly feeling and do not feel like quality, but they do look handsome and can play acceptably when in good trim.

OK I am an idiot; I forgot to bring up the Oxford phonographs.

Oxford was the Sears catalog brand before the introduction of the Silvertone in 1916. All right, that's boring. But they were built both by Columbia and--occasionally, in the case of their open horn disc machines--by Victor Talking Machine. Oxfords are quirky-looking little phonographs with a fun legacy from the Sears catalog.

You'll like this website; it's a fairly casual place to learn about some interesting & unique machines. Intertique also has phonographs for sale if you get to feeling spendy; I've never bought one of theirs but some here have--and they always have some fascinating machines for a bit of window shopping (with sound samples, too.)

Also--if you can get an invite to see a nice collection do so. Seeing early disc phonographs is a great way to visualize just how cute they were originally. In the 1890s and early 1900s, when 78s were the size of CDs or a trifle bigger, the phonographs often had 7" and 8" turntables. So they are made to be adorably tiny (which led to them being annoyingly tinny but most 1896-1902 machines are not really being used heavily.) And to play them you can get brand-new 78s and hear them as they would have sounded. Not great, but not bad.

https://www.intertique.com/MailOrderMysteries.html

Great, now I want an Oxford.