SCAMMER Alert

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Re: SCAMMER Alert

Post by Dischoard »

I've been looking for a gold needle cup. Got a message that Thomas had one and I should email him. Luckily I'm too lazy to deal with middle-men, can't be bothered to negotiate, and HATE email. Never acted on it. Now I know to also be suspicious next time in case I'm feeling less lazy ;)

Thatphonographguy
Victor O
Personal Text: Edison is still a better inventor than Tesla

Post by Thatphonographguy »

WOW! I had the same experience with this person. I posted a want ad long ago on here in search of an early and uncommon wide tooth governor drive gear for my Victor Junior. Got a private message that instructed me to email clerathom@gmail.com. I ended up doing so, and the person told me that their asking price was $150. Good thing the price turned me off, because I may have fallen for it. Then I stumbled upon this scammer alert. I knew something felt off about the whole thing. The grammar from this person seems to be awful, as if English is not fluent to them, perhaps someone from a different country. The last email this person sent me was 5 days ago and said that they "would appreciate a quick response." Beyond words.............

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

MordEth wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 pm In the future, please use the [!] button (top right, above the message) to report the PM. It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 21.55.34.png

JMK3 can no longer send PMs or look at profiles, and has been warned—I didn’t want to ban them without having any PMs reported.

Regards,

David
Well, aparently they still can contact us. Is this enough to get them banned??? Sure hope so!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51116

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

We know the scammer too! He replied to an inquiry my wife had made looking for an Edisonic and his reply was just questionable enough that she asked him if his Edisonic had “the double overhead cam shaft and stick shift“ to which he replied it definitely did!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I think what's important here is has this scammer been removed by the moderator already? Doing a quick search of the user name shows as nonexistent/removed.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

No, the person is still here with ZERO posts.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35413

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:11 pm No, the person is still here with ZERO posts.
If by “still here” you mean “has been banned since before any of the replies to JerryVan’s post on the 15th.”

Although when I quietly banned them probably didn’t matter, since from their profile:

Last active: Fri, 2021.10.29 @ 06:46
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Just got an email from a "Reed99" about both of my wanted posts, informing me to email disneyjcf@gmail.com- probably a scam as well, I won't even bother

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 pm Just got an email from a "Reed99" about both of my wanted posts, informing me to email disneyjcf@gmail.com- probably a scam as well, I won't even bother
I suggest before you start naming a member who may be legit, contact the moderator to investigate.
You can also reply by PM with a member if you feel uncomfortable doing a transaction or ignore.
It is always best to deal with members that have history on this forum. However, we were all new on here at one time and Reed99 looks like just a new member to me.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

gramophone78 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 pm
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 pm Just got an email from a "Reed99" about both of my wanted posts, informing me to email disneyjcf@gmail.com- probably a scam as well, I won't even bother
I suggest before you start naming a member who may be legit, contact the moderator to investigate.
You can also reply by PM with a member if you feel uncomfortable doing a transaction or ignore.
It is always best to deal with members that have history on this forum. However, we were all new on here at one time and Reed99 looks like just a new member to me.
alright.