Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lidolfan
Victor Jr

Re: 2 to 4 min cylinder

Post by Lidolfan »

Is it possible to make it a 2/4 minute player

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Lidolfan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:16 pm Is it possible to make it a 2/4 minute player
It is, with an Amberol Attachment - which were sold by Edison dealers at the time to bring older machines to 2 & 4-minute capability.

Again, here's an article that illustrates and answers the questions you're asking:

https://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-g ... honograph/

Fig. 12 shows your machine as it sits now.

Fig. 18 & 21 show the added Amberol Attachment on a Standard Model B.

George P.

Lidolfan
Victor Jr

Post by Lidolfan »

Ok figure 12 looks similar to mine but I do not have the box below the reproducer and I do not have the knob in front of gears I did get and install the upgrade attachment and now it stops playing when I engage the gears so something is binding just can't figure out what it will run a bit on smaller gear but stops altogether on larger gear very frustrating

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Lidolfan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:57 pm Ok figure 12 looks similar to mine but I do not have the box below the reproducer and I do not have the knob in front of gears I did get and install the upgrade attachment and now it stops playing when I engage the gears so something is binding just can't figure out what it will run a bit on smaller gear but stops altogether on larger gear very frustrating
By the "box below the reproducer", do you mean the shaver? And by the "knob in front of the gears", do you mean the speed control?

The model A should have an external speed control: that was moved under the bedplate for the model B. Likewise, the shaver was eliminated on the model B: are there any holes in the carriage arm where the shaver would have been? Also, how tall is the case? On my model B it is about 6 inches tall: a model A would be a bit shorter. Another detail: a model A would have a black, S-shaped, slotted crank, while a model B would have a threaded, nickeled crank.

Without photos, it's hard to determine the model: I hope you can figure out what problem is preventing you from uploading them. Perhaps you could upload them to another site, and provide a link?

As for the combination gearing: I am not familiar with that of the Standard, but it might be some problem of adjustment, or perhaps some damage to the gear teeth. A video might be helpful, if you have an account on YouTube or similar...

I hope we can figure out some solution to your problems.

- Bill

Lidolfan
Victor Jr

Post by Lidolfan »

Ok I posted a video on you tube first time ever so hope it shows everything
https://youtube.com/shorts/H0qKg9JNnHQ?feature=share
Mine originally had the 2 min gear only with the small guard and worked fine not sure what to do next thinking maybe so oil on gear pins

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

OK, that's definitely a model B...

- Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, that's a Model B Standard, which means the serial number cannot be 40366.

George P.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

phonogfp wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 pm Yes, that's a Model B Standard, which means the serial number cannot be 40366.

George P.
Unless the ID tag has been changed at some point.