2 to 4 min cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lidolfan
Victor Jr

2 to 4 min cylinder

Post by Lidolfan »

I hope someone can help I am trying to find out besides changing reproducer what I need to do to play 4 min cylinder or 2 min ones I have added a few pic of my player to help

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: 2 to 4 min cylinder

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The pictures didn't show up. What model of cylinder phonograph do you have, and what kind of reproducer is in it?

Are you playing wax or celluloid cylinders?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Lidolfan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 pm I hope someone can help I am trying to find out besides changing reproducer what I need to do to play 4 min cylinder or 2 min ones I have added a few pic of my player to help
I don’t see any pictures but if your machine has the proper gearing you should be good to go. But any Diamond B&C reproducer is not recommended for Wax Amberols if you’re planning to play those. But you can get away with playing blue amberols with all 4 minute reproducers.

Lidolfan
Victor Jr

Post by Lidolfan »

Unfortunately I keep getting an error while trying to take a picture. inside the lid it says type D and I came with a model C reproducer I might be getting a model H for the 4 min ones but it looks like a model B standard to me

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Standards are fun machines.

If it says it's a D inside the lid it's probably a D; the gear cover is going to be flatter than if it was the high humpbacked gear cover of a Standard B converted to 4m.
You definitely need a Model H to play 4m cylinders. The stylus on the Model C is too large, and it'll sound bad on your Blue Amberols and eat the grooves of your wax ones. The right reproducer makes all the difference.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

If you machine is infact a model D, there will be no endgate on the mandrel.
Model B's have an endgate

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You should be able to determine which model Standard you have by carefully checking this article:

https://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-g ... honograph/

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Lidolfan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:10 pm Unfortunately I keep getting an error while trying to take a picture. inside the lid it says type D and I came with a model C reproducer I might be getting a model H for the 4 min ones but it looks like a model B standard to me
Good to know I’m not the only one getting this error when trying to upload photos too.

Lidolfan
Victor Jr

Post by Lidolfan »

Ok to try and describe it it does have a mandrel arm so it is not a D it had a 3 hump cover over the gears but it is not flat it is rounded and has no striping serial number is 40366

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The serial number makes it a Model A Standard. That is a two-minute machine, and your description of the gear cover suggests it still is.

George P.