FINALLY My first machine of 2021!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: FINALLY My first machine of 2021!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok: to be sure. The pin and set screw to adjust the feed rack are the ones circled in my photo. Correct? I’ve never been this in depth with a DD machine before so prepare for some dumb questions. Looking at Earl H’s photo mine seems to be leaning forward a bit compared to his photo.
Attachments
5630675F-1ADA-41BC-B89A-649B7C8E1321.jpeg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I probably have a replacement for the ratchet pawl assembly should you decide to go that route. PM or email me if interested and I'll check my parts stock.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

If you loosen that square headed screw that will let that pin move. You just need to set it down far enough so the rack clears your gear when the horn is lifted and then engages when it's lowered. It usually takes a little fiddling around with is all.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

EarlH wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:37 pm If you loosen that square headed screw that will let that pin move. You just need to set it down far enough so the rack clears your gear when the horn is lifted and then engages when it's lowered. It usually takes a little fiddling around with is all.
Ok. I understand pushing down on the pin will move the height of the toothed rack up and out of the way. But just to be completely sure. The screw you mentioned is the one circled In my pic? I really don’t want to goof this up and I want to be ultra sure I’m doing this correctly.
Attachments
0CF0F9AD-47C2-45FD-A561-0811F1B3C958.jpeg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Yes, the one you have circled. The other two will release the lift lever and adjust the height of the horn and reproducer when you set it down to play a record.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

EarlH wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:59 pm Yes, the one you have circled. The other two will release the lift lever and adjust the height of the horn and reproducer when you set it down to play a record.
Ok cool! I’m starting to feel confident now. 😅 I never had to do this kinda stuff with a DD machine in my 5 years of collecting so I’m gonna ask really specific questions!
Now what tool would you recommend that would do the least damage getting that screw loose?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

If you never worked on a DD motor before, you may wanna look at the manual here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=476 Don't worry, it's different from Victor motors, but it's still just mechanics.

Good luck!
Andreas

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Andy, this is going to be a fun restoration to watch; the gumwood finish is something I haven't really run across in real life before so it will be mighty nice to see you give it the working over that it deserves.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 :| wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:04 pm Andy, this is going to be a fun restoration to watch; the gumwood finish is something I haven't really run across in real life before so it will be mighty nice to see you give it the working over that it deserves.
I’ll be honest I’ve never refinished a machine Beyond Goop cleaner or lemon/orange oil or that Kramer’s antique improver stuff. :|

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

GOOD NEWS! My rackover problem has been fixed and the screw was way more easier to loosen than I thought it was THANK GOODNESS! My records still track just fine! And my rackover isn’t bumping into that gear! Yay now that’s one issue fixed!

Here’s also an up close photo of my reproducer. As you see the stylus is shot so I’m using a spare that’s been rebuilt at the moment I’m gonna order new gaskets and a Phonoboy diaphragm too.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg