FINALLY My first machine of 2021!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: FINALLY My first machine of 2021!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok here’s some photos and a video of my bad winding pawl. I’m sure some of y’all has had this problem.
Attachments
C1E98048-B1E3-460A-B453-207DA56E7352.jpeg
IMG_3514.MOV
(32.4 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
0FD08CA3-4656-40B8-8B26-6A0C6C00A3B3.jpeg

JonD
Victor Jr

Post by JonD »

Looks and sounds like you have a missing or broken winding tension spring.
Dyslexic genius has a couple videos on what the spring does and how to replace it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L1gZwvjRrAc

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

JonD wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:51 pm Looks and sounds like you have a missing or broken winding tension spring.
Dyslexic genius has a couple videos on what the spring does and how to replace it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L1gZwvjRrAc
Thank you! Mr Hurt is a treasure! He was the first person the step up to the plate on giving a detailed video on how to rebuild a Diamond disc reproducer and made me confident that I could do the job myself.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

That vertical screw with the spring on it, on which the rack pivots up and down, stick a small screwdriver in from the bottom and turn it counter clockwise, (I think). That will raise up the rack. Keep adjusting until the rack clears when horn is in the raised position.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Valecnik wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:47 pm That vertical screw with the spring on it, on which the rack pivots up and down, stick a small screwdriver in from the bottom and turn it counter clockwise, (I think). That will raise up the rack. Keep adjusting until the rack clears when horn is in the raised position.
It’s ok. I got that issue taken care of. That screw was WAY easier to turn than I thought. The other thing I’m concerned about is getting the new stylus I need but I’m thinking I’m also gonna need a new pin for holding it just in case.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Another photo of the crank shaft. Due to its placement, it looks like I’m gonna have to take the works out of its case to get to it. I’ve done this many times with Victor and Edison cylinder machines but never with a Diamond disc machine. The 4 large screws look like no big deal but it’s the separating the horn part from the motor and getting it back on correctly part that has me kinda nervous here…I hope it’s just my mind making it a bigger deal than it actually is! It’s probably less tedious than say, when I restored my Columbia Q 3 years ago.
Attachments
59CB871A-07A3-4B24-AF00-01D9F9666E98.jpeg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm Another photo of the crank shaft. Due to its placement, it looks like I’m gonna have to take the works out of its case to get to it. I’ve done this many times with Victor and Edison cylinder machines but never with a Diamond disc machine. The 4 large screws look like no big deal but it’s the separating the horn part from the motor and getting it back on correctly part that has me kinda nervous here…I hope it’s just my mind making it a bigger deal than it actually is! It’s probably less tedious than say, when I restored my Columbia Q 3 years ago.
With a little care, you won't have to separate the horn before removing the motor. Put the machine near a wall, remove the lid support from the lid, and leave the lid leaning against the wall. Then undo the 3 motor mount screws and just lift the whole thing out of the cabinet. You can then put the motor and horn on its side on your work area.

When you've worked on it and want to put it back, first drape an old towel over the front part of the cabinet, then guide the motor back in. It helps if you have someone put the horn support rod back in its holder while you're doing that, but it's not necessary.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

52089 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm
AmberolaAndy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm Another photo of the crank shaft. Due to its placement, it looks like I’m gonna have to take the works out of its case to get to it. I’ve done this many times with Victor and Edison cylinder machines but never with a Diamond disc machine. The 4 large screws look like no big deal but it’s the separating the horn part from the motor and getting it back on correctly part that has me kinda nervous here…I hope it’s just my mind making it a bigger deal than it actually is! It’s probably less tedious than say, when I restored my Columbia Q 3 years ago.
With a little care, you won't have to separate the horn before removing the motor. Put the machine near a wall, remove the lid support from the lid, and leave the lid leaning against the wall. Then undo the 3 motor mount screws and just lift the whole thing out of the cabinet. You can then put the motor and horn on its side on your work area.

When you've worked on it and want to put it back, first drape an old towel over the front part of the cabinet, then guide the motor back in. It helps if you have someone put the horn support rod back in its holder while you're doing that, but it's not necessary.
So it all slides out after I undo all the screws on top? I don’t have to undo any screws on the horn tube or anything?
Attachments
DD02A04B-54F3-4ACA-8FF7-3893A451713E.jpeg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Nope, just undo the three motor mounts and you can lift the whole thing out. Do be careful because the horn will swing around whichever way you tilt the whole thing. And of course take the reproducer off and remove the crank first. It's awkward but you'll get used to it quickly enough.

Having said that, if you did want to completely tear down the motor, you would be better off detaching the horn first. if you're only swapping out the one assembly, you can certainly leave the horn attached.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

52089 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:24 pm Nope, just undo the three motor mounts and you can lift the whole thing out. Do be careful because the horn will swing around whichever way you tilt the whole thing. And of course take the reproducer off and remove the crank first. It's awkward but you'll get used to it quickly enough.

Having said that, if you did want to completely tear down the motor, you would be better off detaching the horn first. if you're only swapping out the one assembly, you can certainly leave the horn attached.
Nope I’m just taking it out just to replace that part. And maybe clean the motor a little better) If that’s all I have to do it should be much easier than I think it is. I wonder how long these pawls lasted before they went bad? If it happened a very long time ago I should assume the spring still probably has tons of power in it. The thing was also missing its original crank so who knows how long a previous owner used it after the part went bad. Looking how filthy the motor was it could have sat for decades in a garage or barn or whatever. Because folks didn’t have the knowledge to know what’s wrong with their machine and just let things sit forever.

Ok I found the video on how to do this. Thanks Cheryla aka Dyslexic genius Hurt!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xOoutkFCw