FINALLY My first machine of 2021!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: FINALLY My first machine of 2021!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok I got a crankshaft from Earl H coming soon but I have another specific question. If I take the crankshaft off of it will the spring barrel come loose or is it held in by something else?

And the pin holding in the bad stylus is being a sore in my side. What’s the proper punch or tool that I can tap it out? And who’s got new styli for me because I badly need a replacement. Or even a new pin if I goof it up that bad?

Thanks as always guys! This is great knowing how to master a Diamond disc machine!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:11 pm Ok I got a crankshaft from Earl H coming soon but I have another specific question. If I take the crankshaft off of it will the spring barrel come loose or is it held in by something else?

And the pin holding in the bad stylus is being a sore in my side. What’s the proper punch or tool that I can tap it out? And who’s got new styli for me because I badly need a replacement. Or even a new pin if I goof it up that bad?

Thanks as always guys! This is great knowing how to master a Diamond disc machine!
First, make sure the machine is completely wound down. Then remove the 4 screws holding the assembly to the motor board. Grasp the spring barrel with one hand and the assembly with the other, then pull the assembly away from the spring barrel. At that point, check for any thin metal shim washers on the assembly, and if you find any, put them back on the spring barrel post. Once you've done that, just reverse the process; grease/oil as desired, put the new assembly on the post, position the assembly in place, install 4 screws, done. It's about a 3 minute job.

Talk to Wyatt Markus or Steve Medved about DD stylus, pins, and removal techniques - contact info in the Links section. One tip I recommend is using a pin that is slightly longer than the original so that it can be removed more easily in the future.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

52089 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:34 pm
AmberolaAndy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:11 pm Ok I got a crankshaft from Earl H coming soon but I have another specific question. If I take the crankshaft off of it will the spring barrel come loose or is it held in by something else?

First, make sure the machine is completely wound down. Then remove the 4 screws holding the assembly to the motor board. Grasp the spring barrel with one hand and the assembly with the other, then pull the assembly away from the spring barrel. At that point, check for any thin metal shim washers on the assembly, and if you find any, put them back on the spring barrel post. Once you've done that, just reverse the process; grease/oil as desired, put the new assembly on the post, position the assembly in place, install 4 screws, done. It's about a 3 minute job.

Talk to Wyatt Markus or Steve Medved about DD stylus, pins, and removal techniques - contact info in the Links section. One tip I recommend is using a pin that is slightly longer than the original so that it can be removed more easily in the future.
Never done business with Wyatt but I have done business with Steve and will ask him.

Looking closely at the back of the lid, I can see where a possible repair was made because the lid had broken at one point?
Attachments
4B8E64BC-F9AA-4A29-872C-D220857E0CD1.jpeg
F3ACE3A1-5FBB-4068-AF96-F5335FF32170.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok I got the pawl from Earl H and I was able to take the works out of the case, remove the broken pawl, install the new one, clean up the works and inside the case, then put the works inside the case now my B-19 Chalet works GREAT!! All my mechanical problems with this machine are now SOLVED! 👍👍👍👍

I am so EXCITED! now I’m gonna send my reproducer to Steve Medved and I’m getting a crank from Jerry, but now I need to find me a grill for this thing!

Here’s a VIDEO of the working new pawl!
Attachments
IMG_3540.MOV
(17.46 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

"Is the feed rack giving you the same business as me where I adjust it to not have the teeth scrape with the wheel, the beginning of the record won’ track at the beginning? Or when I set it to make contact to the beginning of the record, the teeth scrape the wheel moving it back? I think something’s bent."

Nice B-19, Andy, and I wanted to move this from the thread about my rather underwhelming A-200 project (ooh shiny phonograph, turn couple screws & it's fixed) and put it all in this thread where you're doing a real honest-to-goodness Restoration. Since your machine carries the B model motor and mine is an A-model, I wanted to put this in a thread where anyone in the future coming along reading back pages of the Talking-Machine Forum would find B-model repairs in their usual place, especially since the B-19 is definitely a charming little machine. Not sure if there's a difference on horn types.

I wonder at this point whether the horn neck may be slightly bent. Sometimes something can crush down on that horn and bend the neck of it--something could've been inside the lid when it was closed. Get the horn out & body-English about a quarter inch of rise back into it--perhaps that'd work. But definitely inquire with more experts before you do this. I've never seen a bent Diamond Disc horn before but then again I've never seen much of a Diamond Disc, and certainly never really took one apart until I got one literally yesterday. But I have seen (talk about the wrong machine for the thread!) a bent horn on an Amberola 30. Amberola 30s have fairly soft horns & can get knocked out of whack easily, especially as basement tinkerers and garage gorillas like taking them apart and putting them back together just--that--wee--lil--bit--OFF. And that soft steel is definitely a thing on the old Edisons, so maybe removing the horn and holding it between your legs while you pull up on the crooked part of the neck may be enough to get a hint of bend back in it.

At least you started adjusting the rack first--I didn't think on mine to adjust the rack because 'me big dumb' and didn't find the adjusting screw. Someone had painted it over.

If I remember right this is a gear-drive machine--and it's the B-80 that's the belt-driven one?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am "Is the feed rack giving you the same business as me where I adjust it to not have the teeth scrape with the wheel, the beginning of the record won’ track at the beginning? Or when I set it to make contact to the beginning of the record, the teeth scrape the wheel moving it back? I think something’s bent."

Nice B-19, Andy, and I wanted to move this from the thread about my rather underwhelming A-200 project (ooh shiny phonograph, turn couple screws & it's fixed) and put it all in this thread where you're doing a real honest-to-goodness Restoration. Since your machine carries the B model motor and mine is an A-model, I wanted to put this in a thread where anyone in the future coming along reading back pages of the Talking-Machine Forum would find B-model repairs in their usual place, especially since the B-19 is definitely a charming little machine. Not sure if there's a difference on horn types.

I wonder at this point whether the horn neck may be slightly bent. Sometimes something can crush down on that horn and bend the neck of it--something could've been inside the lid when it was closed. Get the horn out & body-English about a quarter inch of rise back into it--perhaps that'd work. But definitely inquire with more experts before you do this. I've never seen a bent Diamond Disc horn before but then again I've never seen much of a Diamond Disc, and certainly never really took one apart until I got one literally yesterday. But I have seen (talk about the wrong machine for the thread!) a bent horn on an Amberola 30. Amberola 30s have fairly soft horns & can get knocked out of whack easily, especially as basement tinkerers and garage gorillas like taking them apart and putting them back together just--that--wee--lil--bit--OFF. And that soft steel is definitely a thing on the old Edisons, so maybe removing the horn and holding it between your legs while you pull up on the crooked part of the neck may be enough to get a hint of bend back in it.

At least you started adjusting the rack first--I didn't think on mine to adjust the rack because 'me big dumb' and didn't find the adjusting screw. Someone had painted it over.

If I remember right this is a gear-drive machine--and it's the B-80 that's the belt-driven one?
The horn doesn’t appear to be bent? I have the issue temporarily fixed, I slightly bent it the other way so and it seemed to take care of it?

Yeah I think the first generation table models were the only machines that were belt driven.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

What did you have to bend, the rack itself? I'm glad you got it fixed--if it's working, then that's great!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:49 am What did you have to bend, the rack itself? I'm glad you got it fixed--if it's working, then that's great!
Well bending the rack the other way did fix my issue I don’t know if it’s supposed to be angled like that. I’ll look at the one on my C-19 and compare.

BTW I just bought the George Frow Diamond Disc book from eBay and look what machine is on the cover!
Attachments
965866BB-418E-4FA6-9DFA-A9C595E77F67.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Here’s the feed rack for my C-19 it’s on completely straight and not at an angle. This confirms my suspicion that the feed rack in my B-19 somehow got bent and was causing the tracking issue I was having!
Attachments
B-19 feed rack
B-19 feed rack
C-19 feed rack
C-19 feed rack

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’m bumping this thread with bad news and maybe a possible tip to fix the current issue on this machine.

The replacement pawl DID work back in December and January but I decided to take the C19 crank off (with pliers holding the shaft down while I turned the other way) and was able to get it out. And put it where it had been sitting for the last few months.

NOW I get the crank I needed for this machine and it STRUGGLES to wind the spring barrel!
Either I did something to goof it up while getting the C-19 crank off or this pawl had finally gave up the ghost too!

So here is the video on that issue! I swear it’s been one step forward and two steps back with my two most recent machines (this one and the triumph)

https://youtu.be/6MrCKwyWWag