Columbia's Initial Spring Motor Offerings

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Columbia's Initial Spring Motor Offerings

Post by Shawn »

The previous thread on the Columbia AJ got me thinking about the complete Columbia spring-motor disk offering starting in 1901. The offering was much smaller than Victor's having only two machines initially in 1901 - The AJ and AH, and adding the Columbia AK in 1902. They are absolutely wonderful machines with well adorned cases and excellent reproducers. It has always been a mystery to me (and many other collectors of these machines) why they have not had more praise and attention from the collector community.

So to sing their praises, here are three examples from Columbia's first spring-motor disk offering. I'll note known variations of the initial offering from period documented data. Its a slippery and dangerous slope to do so, because (1) the documentation available is not comprehensive and (2) current examples can deviate (for many reasons unknown) from the period documentation available.

In the 30 years I have collected, there has been consistent debate on such fine points as:
  • "when were stamped steel turntables introduced?"
  • "when were pot-metal turntables introduced?"
  • "when was the improved soundbox discontinued?"
  • "when were brass elbows introduced?"
If you have documented answers to these and other burning questions, we'd all appreciate hearing from you! Please chime in with assertions on these machines. All I ask when you make an assertion - Show us the period data supporting that assertion. I know what I present isn't complete. That's why we have this community to continue to build upon the knowledge of these fantastic machines!!

Also, we've all seen present day variations from what I document below. I am not here to say these present day variations could not be representative of how it came from a dealer. I've learned too many times over the years that what is in the catalog, or stated in period trade magazines isn't a complete picture of what was sold at a dealers store in 1901 or 1902. That being said, it is the best data we have available to us today.

I apologize up front for the orientation of the pictures. Its not that I don't know how to orient them, its that they are direct cuts from my catalog files, oriented as they came from the original catalog. I chose not to re-orient them.

As well, show us your pictures!! These machines really deserve be more desired in our community!!!
Graphophone 25.jpg
Columbia AJ Issued in 1901, this is Columbia's first 7-inch machine. It is referred to by collectors today as the Top wind AJ.

Initial Offering: This model was issued with and without a hold-down nut, with an Improved soundbox, with two variations of motor configurations, and with a cast aluminum turntable.
Graphophone 22.jpg
In future months/years, the AJ Model would go on to be issued in several cabinet and motor variations (Rear-wind, side-wind) with the later analyzing reproducer, with a brass elbow, with different traveling and support arms, and with stamped steel and pot metal turntables.

Shown here, this machine has an Improved sound box, with a cast aluminum turntable, with a hold-down nut, and with a leather elbow.
Columbia AJ Top Wind.png

Columbia AH. Issued in 1901, this was Columbia's first 10-inch machine.

Initial Offering: This model was issued with and without a hold-down nut, with an Improved soundbox, with two variations of motor configurations, with a cast aluminum turntable, with and without the name "Columbia" cast on the travelling arm, and with or without the reproducer locking screw on the arm.

Its hard to see, but the first ad shows the tone arm without "Columbia" cast on it.
Columbia AH Ad.jpg
Graphophone 23.jpg
Graphophone 24.jpg
In future months/years, the AH would go on to be issued in several cabinet and motor variations, with the later analyzing reproducer, with a brass elbow, with different travelling arms, and with stamped steel and pot metal turntables.

Shown here, this machine has an Improved sound box, with a cast aluminum turntable, without the name "Columbia" cast on the travelling arm, with the reproducer locking screw on the travelling arm, with a hold-down nut, and with a leather elbow.
Columbia AH.png

Columbia AK Issued in 1902, this is Columbia's second 7-inch machine. Priced less expensive than the AJ, it was their "value" model. It is referred to by collectors today as the rod-style AK.

Initial Offering: This model was issued without a hold-down nut, with the Improved soundbox, with a single motor configuration, with a rod support arm, with a stamped wooden travel arm, and with a cast aluminum turntable.
Graphophone 20 21.jpg
In future months/years, the AK Model would go on to be issued in several cabinet variations, with the later analyzing reproducer, with a brass elbow, with different traveling and support arms, and with stamped steel and pot metal turntables.

Shown here, this machine has an Improved sound box, with a cast aluminum turntable, with a zinc-bell black painted horn, and with a leather elbow.
Columbia AK.png
Enjoy Collecting!!!

Shawn
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Columbia's Initial Spring Motor Offerings

Post by JerryVan »

Great stuff!

Chronologically, where did the AK variation with no traveling arm fall?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for sharing. I agree, Columbia machines, in general, are under appreciated.

Jerry B.

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

JerryVan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:22 pm Great stuff!

Chronologically, where did the AK variation with no traveling arm fall?
Jerry,

That is an excellent question. I know of an existing real life example that has an Improved soundbox (yes, hard to believe but yes it was factory), and several that have the later analyzing reproducer. Since the pictures I have shown is from an early 1902 catalog, I believe the no-tone-arm version came sometime after the rod-style AK. As to where it fell in the progression beyond that, I have no data.

I do have a Columbia catalog that is hand-marked - 1904. I cannot attest to that accuracy. However, it must be somewhere around that date as they are still advertising the SG Graphophone. Attached below, it shows the "Chicago" or pinched sided AK - with a wooden tone arm. Along side it is the late, less ornate cabinet AJ.
1904 20 21.jpg
One important point to note, the no-tone-arm version had the support arm centered in the front of the cabinet. Tone arm versions were offset to the side. Having the support centered in the cabinet allowed the no-tone-arm version to track correctly to the record.

I know there are folks out there with more or different knowledge! Feel free to chime in.

Shawn
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Shawn, what an informative and interesting post! Unfortunately, I have nothing to contribute, but this information may be very useful to me because I still hope to add at least a top wind AJ to my collection. Thank you.

Jim