Davis Tabletop

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TN Allen
Victor Jr

Davis Tabletop

Post by TN Allen »

I recently acquired a Davis tabletop machine. The flexible joint connecting the wood tonearm to the papier maché horn seems quite loose. Perhaps whatever seals the connection can be replaced. If so, what is the material, and how is the tonearm removed from the horn? I don't see any obvious connection for tone arm board to the cabinet. It seems to be glued in place. There is a metal ring around the tonearm base, it doesn't seem to turn or lift, and there are no visible screws attaching it.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attachments
1637591755705-555092605.jpg
1637591716275-2095147410.jpg

Hoodoo
Victor O

Re: Davis Tabletop

Post by Hoodoo »

Can the board that the tonearm is mounted to be removed from the main body of the case so you can see the underside?
Alternatively, maybe remove the bottom panel from the case?
The wooden tonearm is a relatively rare animal.
Good luck

TN Allen
Victor Jr

Post by TN Allen »

The bottom seems integral, probably rests in a dado. The board with the tonearm seems to have been glued in as well, although it may be the hardened finish.

The long section of the tonearm is nicely turned, the 90° segment is 2 pieces. The joints look solid. The tonearm appears to be mahogany, the case/cabinet may be a mix of oak, and probably some chestnut finished to look like oak. I recall reading much of the "Golden Oak" furniture was actually chestnut.

I may try gently prying the ring around the tonearm base to see if it releases the tonearm. My concern though is that I may damage the throat of the horn.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

TN Allen wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:50 pm The bottom seems integral, probably rests in a dado. The board with the tonearm seems to have been glued in as well, although it may be the hardened finish.

The long section of the tonearm is nicely turned, the 90° segment is 2 pieces. The joints look solid. The tonearm appears to be mahogany, the case/cabinet may be a mix of oak, and probably some chestnut finished to look like oak. I recall reading much of the "Golden Oak" furniture was actually chestnut.

I may try gently prying the ring around the tonearm base to see if it releases the tonearm. My concern though is that I may damage the throat of the horn.
l wouldn't recommend prying prying on that ring. In the photo it looks as though there's several screws attaching the board to the cabinet.

TN Allen
Victor Jr

Post by TN Allen »

Thank you for looking and considering possible solutions. So far, I have found that the screws fasten the lid catch, and there are nails into the cleat that supports the motor and platter board.

Perhaps I should have written "gently prying". I have no intention of damaging any of the surfaces or connections. Before prying, I may try sliding the board forward. It may only be held in a slot in the back panel.

I suspect the Davis may have been an inexpensive player, assembled quickly to reduce cost, and with little concern for maintenance 100 years after manufacture. However, given the cabinet is nicely made, it probably did allow for maintenance. I don't know yet quite what to think.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Get a mirror and a flashlight and look up in there before you disassemble. It could be that the collar is threaded.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

TN Allen
Victor Jr

Post by TN Allen »

The Davis people were clever, their retention system is simple, and with a little trial and error, and an intuitive sense, the mystery is solved.

Turning the tonearm to about 3:00 on an imaginary "clock face" aligns a key on the tonearm retention stem with a keyway in the bar that holds the tonearm in place. I've attached a photo, sadly not done in good light.

The system doesn't seal the tonearm pivot well to the horn below. I thought there might be a better seal. The concave ring the convex base of the tonearm turns in seems to be glued solidly to the papier maché horn.

I'll probably clean up the mahogany and oil it, perhaps what this machine may lack in sound quality will be overlooked in considering the nice wooden tonearm.
Attachments
20211129_171326.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

There must be any kind of grease that holds up well with wooden parts, not being absorbed. Old wooden gear clocks and horse carts wheels and axes do use something. Maybe it's not wet grease, but some kind of powder as talcum or graphite... You only need one that greases the junction and is thick enough to seal the air leaks.
Inigo

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Try a tallow-and-beeswax mixture to seal this.

Or you could make something from wool felt soaked in beeswax that would serve as an air-seal, then maybe use vaseline as a sealant?