A200 with 4-digit serial comes home

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

A200 with 4-digit serial comes home

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I found something mighty nice a few weeks ago & today I had the sparest of spare moments--so I fired up the Toyota and cruised over to Bristol, CT to pick up this Edison disc phonograph.

This is the first of the Diamond Discs that I've ever owned; quite a fun machine to take apart and look at. It's incredibly overbuilt. Everything on there is robust, heavy, built to last. From what little I've found these are some of the earlier Edison machines to hit the market, perhaps the first models sold (A-60?, A-100, A-150, A-200, A-250, and A-275. Wish we could find more A-290s.) Unfortunately I know practically nothing about this type of phonograph, being more of a 78rpm & cylinder collector.
IMG_20211122_204438.jpg
IMG_20211122_204415.jpg
Tag!
Tag!
The dealer tag is for the C.L. Pierce & Company music store at 246 Main Street, New Britain, Connecticut. It's not there any more but it would've been just across from the Civil War monument in Monument Square. The old building there I might have to go take a picture of & see what it is now.

This phonograph was restored by a fellow named Don, who's since deceased--he died not too terribly long ago, and he had collected some 25 or 30 phonographs and some of those huge carven cuckoo-clocks that stand four feet tall and look right at home in the tall-ceilinged hunting lodges you don't often see nowadays. He didn't have kids or a family really so he left it to a friend of his. The friend didn't use it, wasn't interested in it, got tired of it, and sold it. His son whom I bought it from (the son of the friend) didn't seem to know how to shut the lid. So the Edison sat down stairs in a hallway with the spring wound all the way up and got ignored until someone had the notion to sell it.
The finish is polyurethane and the horn paint is red maroon, like for a red Gem. Don also replaced the grill cloth and most of the wooden dividers in the record drawer, and he built a great little record library to go with the machine before it was given away, mixing country with jazz and whatever else--unfortunately these records were not only unappreciated; the people who had the machine did not even know how to turn it on.
IMG_20211122_204504.jpg
IMG_20211122_204640_6.jpg
IMG_20211122_204640_5.jpg
IMG_20211122_204556.jpg

Well, though I have no idea how to get everything working on it, I'm mighty glad to have it & it's one machine that (unlike my others) didn't come into the collection as a phonograph-shaped kindling pile with some rust sprinkled in it. Most of my machines start out pretty rough and need a ton of tampering and fettling to get back right. With the Gem being a colossal project in a tiny case, this is a big machine that's only a little bit of a project at the moment. I suppose I will refinish it in a more period-appropriate finish after college, and making a new mute ball for it shouldn't be a big problem.

And that's how I ended up with an Edison A-200. If I can get it to where all the controls work properly I'll let you know! The little rack doesn't want to tip up and disengage from the gear. I have to keep adjusting the height--and I'm not sure how to tell if a Diamond Disc is playable either. But so far I am kind of surprised that I ended up with an Edison DD machine and some fun records. Thank you Brett Hurt the "Dyslexic Genius" for both the encouragement to go ahead & get it, as well as the information on the A-200 in general. Your videos on setting the tracking & reproducer height for these are much appreciated.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: A200 with 4-digit serial comes home

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:58 pm I found something mighty nice a few weeks ago & today I had the sparest of spare moments--so I fired up the Toyota and cruised over to Bristol, CT to pick up this Edison disc phonograph.

This is the first of the Diamond Discs that I've ever owned; quite a fun machine to take apart and look at. It's incredibly overbuilt. Everything on there is robust, heavy, built to last. From what little I've found these are some of the earlier Edison machines to hit the market, perhaps the first models sold (A-60?, A-100, A-150, A-200, A-250, and A-275. Wish we could find more A-290s.) Unfortunately I know practically nothing about this type of phonograph, being more of a 78rpm & cylinder collector.

IMG_20211122_204438.jpg
IMG_20211122_204415.jpg

IMG_20211122_204540.jpg
The dealer tag is for the C.L. Pierce & Company music store at 246 Main Street, New Britain, Connecticut. It's not there any more but it would've been just across from the Civil War monument in Monument Square. The old building there I might have to go take a picture of & see what it is now.

This phonograph was restored by a fellow named Don, who's since deceased--he died not too terribly long ago, and he had collected some 25 or 30 phonographs and some of those huge carven cuckoo-clocks that stand four feet tall and look right at home in the tall-ceilinged hunting lodges you don't often see nowadays. He didn't have kids or a family really so he left it to a friend of his. The friend didn't use it, wasn't interested in it, got tired of it, and sold it. His son whom I bought it from (the son of the friend) didn't seem to know how to shut the lid. So the Edison sat down stairs in a hallway with the spring wound all the way up and got ignored until someone had the notion to sell it.
The finish is polyurethane and the horn paint is red maroon, like for a red Gem. Don also replaced the grill cloth and most of the wooden dividers in the record drawer, and he built a great little record library to go with the machine before it was given away, mixing country with jazz and whatever else--unfortunately these records were not only unappreciated; the people who had the machine did not even know how to turn it on.

IMG_20211122_204504.jpg
IMG_20211122_204640_6.jpg

IMG_20211122_204640_5.jpg

IMG_20211122_204556.jpg

Well, though I have no idea how to get everything working on it, I'm mighty glad to have it & it's one machine that (unlike my others) didn't come into the collection as a phonograph-shaped kindling pile with some rust sprinkled in it. Most of my machines start out pretty rough and need a ton of tampering and fettling to get back right. With the Gem being a colossal project in a tiny case, this is a big machine that's only a little bit of a project at the moment. I suppose I will refinish it in a more period-appropriate finish after college, and making a new mute ball for it shouldn't be a big problem.

And that's how I ended up with an Edison A-200. If I can get it to where all the controls work properly I'll let you know! The little rack doesn't want to tip up and disengage from the gear. I have to keep adjusting the height--and I'm not sure how to tell if a Diamond Disc is playable either. But so far I am kind of surprised that I ended up with an Edison DD machine and some fun records. Thank you Brett Hurt the "Dyslexic Genius" for both the encouragement to go ahead & get it, as well as the information on the A-200 in general. Your videos on setting the tracking & reproducer height for these are much appreciated.
That’s awesome Charles! Hopefully you won’t have any frustrating issue with it. (like I am currently having with my B-19 feed rack! I’ll probably make a thread about it soon if my issue persists I think it might be bent at an angle?)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 am
That’s awesome Charles! Hopefully you won’t have any frustrating issue with it. (like I am currently having with my B-19 feed rack! I’ll probably make a thread about it soon.)
Well Andy, guess what was wrong with it...

The feed rack!

Of course it's the feed rack. I can reach in the front & manually set everything, and then it'll play just fine. It sounds quite nice. But it won't release from the rack when I press the lift lever down to raise everything. I'll get that set up.

As for the missing mute ball, the cable mostly works, and I have the metal end of it so I have to make a replica--no big deal; I've got a sewing machine. That problem isn't a real objection. And I can let the polyurethane finish slide too. It's just getting in there & setting the timing on the rack release that I have to figure out. But if I do I'll let you know.

I've really enjoyed your B-19 posts too; that light-finish gumwood case is going to stand out in the collection.

There's another A-200 parked up in New Hampshire, currently listed in the Trader at the nominal price of a dollar, to go to another collector--It was tempting! And I think it's still there. I just didn't have time to get to NH to go salvage it and ended up salvaging this one. Someone needs to jump on that one in NH as it's in substantially more original condition than this one and supposedly lacks only a crank.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Is the feed rack giving you the same business as me where I adjust it to not have the teeth scrape with the wheel, the beginning of the record won’ track at the beginning? Or when I set it to make contact to the beginning of the record, the teeth scrape the wheel moving it back? I think something’s bent.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

No, this one tracks great but when I pick the needle up with the lever, it won't disengage. So the needle gets stuck at the end of the record.

I moved your question about the B-19 adjusting rack over to the thread on resurrecting the B-19 itself, so it's all tidier. Maybe that is silly of me but hey.

(Edit: I fixed it. There is a rack out of adjustment in there. The rack height on this machine is adjusted by a spring and a screw, right there at the mouth of the horn. The screw is underneath, and the spring on top where the rack itself pivots vertically. So I put more tension on this spring--which raised the rack--which let the horn glide more easily--which also, when I pull the operating lever, lets the rack gently float out of mesh with its worm gear instead of clashing in and out of gear.)

So that was a surprisingly anticlimactic repair--not even a real repair but just one adjustment. Okay, I'm fine with that.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Nice machine Charles. Diamond disc machines have a really terrific sound. Enjoy!

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It does sound good, David, and the more I listen to this (I had a study session last night that got 'enhanced' by record playing) the more I like it. I love how long the records can work for! Four and a half minutes out of a plain 10" disc is Pretty cool. ("wait until he hears about vinyl.")

I wish I had gotten into these earlier; this is almost like figuring out phonographs all over again.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Wait until you learn about Edison Long Play discs and Phonographs!
May I suggest that you send the reproducer to Wyatt Markus and have a Fig.6 diaphragm installed for maximum sonic performance.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

A nice early one!edisonplayer

pg1876
Victor O

Post by pg1876 »

The Florida Four are a great group - noticing the disc on the turntable. Great find! The early Edison DD machines are tanks and the A-200 bridges the 'awesomely overbuilt' with the 'remotely-space-conscious'