Gold Plated Triumphs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fourbaers
Victor O

Gold Plated Triumphs

Post by fourbaers »

I was fortunate enough to purchase a gold plated Triumph recently and would like to know how many documented examples there are. I know of three or four others but at least one of them does NOT have the TAE "signature tag" so may be a dealer or owner plated machine. It is very late (model E) so may have indeed be factory plated but without the tag.

Mine is a Banner "A" model so I was super excited to have a chance to own it. Here's the one-in-a-million story of how it came my way: My neighbor's daughter occasionally dog-sits for us so her mother had been in our house and seen some machines. Her brother had snagged this machine years ago whilst cleaning out an uncle's house in Florida. She had it here in St. Louis so shot my wife a couple of quick pics. She didn't know how to open it so all I knew was that it was a mahogany Banner machine - OK, good. I'm out of town so couldn't see it for an excruciating three or four days. I kiddingly said to a friend, watch it be nickel plated or have a Weber repeater on it! Well, a day or two later the photo of the tag arrives and - WOW - distinctive hints of gold there. Too good to be true. . . . only four door down from my door.

The brother was visiting St. Louis for Thanksgiving and we were able to come to terms and two of my "bucket list" items are now checked off: Mahogany Banner Triumph and plated Triumph.

As you can see, it was converted to 2/4 and the original gold mandrel, carriage, and reproducer were replaced. The gold crank is missing. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

Fortunately, many years ago, a local collector called me because he had a Triumph in for a repair and it had a nickel carriage. He offered to substitute a black carriage on the machine and I kept the plated one not knowing if I would ever need it. Serendipity!

Just checked my George Frow book: Banner Triumphs cost $50, mahogany was an extra $10, and gold was a walloping 50 bucks add so more than double the cost of the base machine! Note the late Spring Motor style tag. I've not seen this style tag on very many Triumphs and certainly none later than about 30,000 serial number (have you?).

Let me know what other gold machines you know of. I do have a record of the model "D" in the upcoming Stanton auction.
Attachments
Triumph 36,740 Top Works.jpg
Triumph 36,740 Tag.jpg
Triumph 36,740 Banner Decal.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Gold Plated Triumphs

Post by Jerry B. »

One word...Congratulations! :mrgreen:

Jerry B.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Wow. Just-- wow. Words fail me.

What a stroke of well-deserved luck!

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

That is an AWESOME find! You did see the one at the APS Show, I am sure. I wish I had been able to get Ron Dethlefson's nickel plated Triumph. Great score--what an excellent addition to your Triumph collection! Just goes to show, you just never know what is just down the street from you. And, always check something out when given the opportunity. Too often I think many of us will just pass on something that someone has poorly described. Or, we assume that whatever the person has is just a common machine. I found my A300 Circasian Walnut Diamond Disc machine, when a neighbor, right down the street, wanted me to check out her Edison Victrola!

Mike Sorter

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Congratulations, Terry - - what a stroke of luck and an outstanding machine!

I suspect that earlier-style data plate was chosen because it was thought to be easier to plate/polish than the later bas-relief style. Obviously, they eventually figured out how to do it. That's just surmise on my part.

Congratulations again, and an early Merry Christmas!

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Amazing! Congratulations on an incredible acquisition.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks for sharing pictures of such a fantastic machine.. Congratulations.

blizz

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Assume you'll be applying a new Cline decal to replace that one due to the two scratches?

Just kidding - congratulations - a perfect Christmas gift for a serious Triumph collector!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Wow. That will look magnificent once it is restored, although gold doesn't seem to be going down in price. ;)

Congratulations.

Garret

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Congratulations Terry, That is a beauty! , how fitting that it presented itself to a true Triumph Aficionado , To your question of how many gold Triumphs are out there, I have 7 or 8 but could always use one more, so Ill be by to pick it up :-) , Larry