December issue of The Antique Phonograph journal

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

December issue of The Antique Phonograph journal

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Just to keep APS members updated on the upcoming December issue of The Antique Phonograph: for the 18 years that I have been editing the journal I have always completed each issue around a month before the cover date so that the printer would have plenty of time for pre-press setup, printing, binding, printing mailing labels, sealing it in a poly bag, pre-sorting, and getting it to the post office in a timely manner. In turn, that left USPS two or more weeks to do their processing and get it to readers (more or less) on time. Obviously, we have zero control over what happens once it's in postal hands, and as earlier threads have indicated, the post office is not always reliable in fulfilling their part of the deal. Still, most readers would receive their copies within a week or so before or after the cover date.

We handled the December issue in the usual way, but we ran into an unanticipated roadblock: after many years of working with the same, family-run printer in Wisconsin, who gave us excellent and reliable service, the owner rather abruptly decided to retire and sell his business to another (much larger) printing company. We were repeatedly assured that we would enjoy the same level of service under the new operation, in their larger and better-equipped facility. The new company has all of our old files and basic details. We are awaiting the newly printed issue to judge the print quality, but we quickly learned that as a large outfit with many customers, at a very busy time of year, the rapid turnover we have long come to expect was not met.

The bottom line is that the December issue was not handed off to the Post Office until November 24th, about two weeks later than usual. As a result, barring amazing postal efficiency, readers can expect to receive their copies slightly later than usual -- probably toward mid-December rather than around the 1st. 

But -- it will be worth the wait: the issue has been expanded from the usual 52 pages to 60 to accommodate 12 outstanding articles, with some amazing new research and discoveries.

Enjoy!
Attachments
december.jpg

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Re: December issue of The Antique Phonograph journal

Post by Ripduf1 »

Thank you for the update Rene.

I would like to offer a big shout out of Thanks - to you and the committee for ALWAYS putting together a great publication.

I hope the “new guys” fulfill their promise once they assimilate the Journal into their routine each quarter.

Thank you again for your hard work.

John
Horns rolled and straightened

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

Rene,

Thank you for the update. We all appreciate your communication and the challenges of changing business conditions.

As with every other month, the issue will be well worth the additional, and hopefully temporary wait!!!

Shawn.
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Well worth the wait. Thanks for all you do for your fellow "Phono-holics"

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Phono-Phan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm Well worth the wait. Thanks for all you do for your fellow "Phono-holics"
I second this sentiment. It's worth waiting for. Thanks for the amazing work you do Rene!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Thanks for the update Rene. No apologies neccessary, your professionalism is appreciated.

Enjoy the holidays,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Rene

After reading the "late delivery" notice, I was very surprised to find my Dec copy in the mailbox this morning.

This has been the earliest I have ever received an issue here.

Keep up the good work :lol:

Chuck

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

That's great news, Chuck! Maybe the post office is making up for the printer this time around. I recall being surprised last year to find that the post office was unusually fast with the December issue, but inexplicably slow with June. I usually try to finish December a tad early to allow extra time for the holiday crush.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Mine also arrived today!

George P.
APS002.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Got mine today too. Thanks!!