Sono-tone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bobm90
Victor Jr

Sono-tone

Post by Bobm90 »

Hi people,
I am trying to get info on the company that made a Brass Reproducer that came with one of my photographs. It is marked Sono-Tone, pat date 1913, I have been unsuccessful in finding any company information on it but thought maybe someone on here would have a clue as to where I could look, Thank you in advance for your help.
Bob Meyer

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Sono-tone

Post by OrthoFan »

The only thing I've been able to come up with is this short news story from "Music Trades" vol. 57, dated June 7, 1919:
Sono-Tone Phonograph news article.jpg
They appear to be one of hundreds of off-brand companies operating throughout the teens through the mid-1920s though I didn't spot a reference on this page. There is one for "Sona-tone," however -- https://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talk ... j-wakeman/

OrthoFan

Bobm90
Victor Jr

Post by Bobm90 »

Ortho Fan - Thank you for the effort, the writing is hard to read and in fact, it could be Sona-Tone, I have to look at it again, better yet I will post a picture of it tomorrow.
Bob

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

If it's Sona-Tone, here is an ad from Talking Machine World magazine April 1918. Again, one of hundreds of "off brand" companies that jumped on the bandwagon when patents began to expire.
Talking Machine World (April 1918).JPG