How many machines out there?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Burt68
Victor Jr

How many machines out there?

Post by Burt68 »

Every week, I see three people who inherit or bring an Edison cylinder machine out storage and wonder what to do with it? Has anyone ever made an educated guess of how many machines still exist of the 800,000+ that were originally sold?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: How many machines out there?

Post by phonogfp »

I've seen discussions on this topic where a conservative estimate of approximate 10% survival has been suggested. That would indicate approximately 80,000 Edison Phonographs out there, and I wouldn't argue that figure. It's all supposition, of course.

George P.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This may mean (if we count in Edison disc models, Victor & Victrola, Silvertone, Cheney, Brunswick, Columbias of all types, and some of the smaller makes) that perhaps half a million or more hand-cranked machines like this are still kicking around.

I'm glad they are. Got "Old Comrades March" on now and it is four o'clock in the morning.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Well, I can say this.... In my part of the country, there is no shortage of Silvertones and Grafonolas... :)

These brands must have been heavily marketed and produced. Lately, if I see an advertisement for a "Victrola" or "Phonograph" for sale, sure enough, it is usually one one of these..... LOL.

[reference, Eastern NC, VA, ETC.]

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonogfp wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm I've seen discussions on this topic where a conservative estimate of approximate 10% survival has been suggested. That would indicate approximately 80,000 Edison Phonographs out there, and I wouldn't argue that figure. It's all supposition, of course.

George P.
On the Victor side, there are the VV-IX and VV-XI which, based on Craigslist, seem to have survived at the 120% rate due to their apparent ability to reproduce like amoebas. :lol: :lol:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

52089 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am On the Victor side, there are the VV-IX and VV-XI which, based on Craigslist, seem to have survived at the 120% rate due to their apparent ability to reproduce like amoebas. :lol: :lol:
:lol:

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Wouldn't machines from premium names have a better chance of survival? Often better made, brand recognition would ensure that Edisons and HMVs weren't thrown away, but shoved into a corner. And collectors have long had a preference for rescuing those same examples. Today there seem too few off-brand machines.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Both Edison and HMV succeeded in selling a good quality and relatively expensive product to a mass market.
If UK eBay can be considered a reliable guide, the survival rate of HMV portables greatly exceeds that of any other make.
Columbia takes second place and Decca third, with the rest found in relatively small numbers.
Even when collectors think that there are no more significant finds left out there, EMG's, Experts and rare early machines still turn up.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Judging by the amount of cylinder records I see at auctions, I'm confident that every single one made still exists! :roll:

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 pm Judging by the amount of cylinder records I see at auctions, I'm confident that every single one made still exists! :roll:
...eaten through with mold and sold as "appears excellent condition, unable to test" or "needs cleaning, left to buyer" or, of course, the ever-popular "rare!" ;)