Vic II "Humpback"?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
randymullx
Victor O

Vic II "Humpback"?

Post by randymullx »

What exactly does "humpback" refer to? In other words, what makes a Vic II as "humpback"? There is a listing on E-bay for one and it says the ribbed corner columns is what makes it a "humpback"....is that correct? I have a Vic II (Version B) that I am restoring which does not have the ribbed corner columns.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question....I did a search of earlier posts before asking and didn't find any answers (although I may not have looked far enough back).

Thanks,
Randy

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Vic II "Humpback"?

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I believe it refers to the "hump" that the horn bracket is mounted on, at the rear of the case

MisterOpera
Victor O

Post by MisterOpera »

Randy,
As a former teacher, no question is ever dumb........ The hump back refers to the early ones with the "bulge" on the back where the back bracket is screwed to.
Burdette

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, as others mentioned, it's the bulge in the back panel of the cabinet where the back bracket mounts. It must have been cheaper to manufacture the cabinet with the bulge rather than change the size of the cast back bracket. As far as Victor horn machine go, the humpback II is rather common. But I'd argue it is one of the best proportioned and most attractive models that Victor produced. Personally, I vastly prefer the hump back over the slightly later plain case Victor II. Both styles have a robust single spring motor. I've heard it argued that the shorter tone arm on either style is harder on discs when compared to the longer tone arm on Victors III and up.

Jerry B.

randymullx
Victor O

Post by randymullx »

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Jerry B. wrote: ↑Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm Yes, as others mentioned, it's the bulge in the back panel of the cabinet where the back bracket mounts. It must have been cheaper to manufacture the cabinet with the bulge rather than change the size of the cast back bracket. As far as Victor horn machine go, the humpback II is rather common. But I'd argue it is one of the best proportioned and most attractive models that Victor produced. Personally, I vastly prefer the hump back over the slightly later plain case Victor II. Both styles have a robust single spring motor. I've heard it argued that the shorter tone arm on either style is harder on discs when compared to the longer tone arm on Victors III and up.

Jerry B.
A plain case Vic II is wonderful too Jerry. πŸ˜‰

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Probably this one here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165210341488?h ... Swz4Vhpovp

If it is, he's a member on this forum, he goes by Raphael.
I've never bought one of his machines, but from what I've seen, all are in good original condition with as little work as necessary.
He always rebuilds the motors and reproducers, so they work properly.

Keeps his customers happy.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

A plain case Vic II is wonderful too Jerry. πŸ˜‰
You are soooo correct!

Jerry B.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

That is an incredibly solid price for a very nice machine.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

randymullx wrote: ↑Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:48 pm There is a listing on E-bay for one and it says the ribbed corner columns is what makes it a "humpback"....is that correct?
Where in my listing does it say that the ribbed corner columns make it a "humpback"? My listing says: "Known as a Humpback due to the unusual extra-heavy extension of the rear panel to accommodate the back mount."

Raphael
Last edited by Raphael on Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.