Vic II "Humpback"?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: Vic II "Humpback"?

Post by Raphael »

JeffR1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:40 am Probably this one here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165210341488?h ... Swz4Vhpovp

He always rebuilds the motors and reproducers, so they work properly.

Keeps his customers happy.
Just to clarify, I do none of this work myself, I leave that to people far more qualified!

Raphael

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Raphael wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:11 am
randymullx wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:48 pm There is a listing on E-bay for one and it says the ribbed corner columns is what makes it a "humpback"....is that correct?
Where in my listing does it say that the ribbed corner columns make it a "humpback"? My listing says: "Known as a Humpback due to the unusual extra-heavy extension of the rear panel to accommodate the back mount."

Raphael
I think possibly the OP was referring to a different ebay listing, not yours:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324916830918?

It says: " I read this type of oak cabinet is called a humpback model with the fancy Roman column corners"
Best regards ... AZ*

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Possibly. But since JeffR1 put a link to my listing in his response, I just wanted to clarify that it wasn’t me.

Raphael

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

If I were a betting man, I'd say the listing probably was not Raphael's but rather this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324916830918?h ... SwWcxhkKs2

which states, among other things,

"Fresh from a local estate sales, wonderful original un-restored conditions. I am no expert with gramophones. I try my best to take detailed photos and describe the item. Please review the photos carefully as they are very much part of the description. Ask any questions you have before biddings, I’ll do my best to answer them.

1. Original un-restored condition, typical blemish and scratches for a ~100 years old gramophone

2. I read this type of oak cabinet is called a humpback model with the fancy Roman column corners

..."

Opening bid, by the way, is $1,299, and no one has bitten yet. Ominously, while disclaiming any expertise with gramophones, the seller indicates he may disassemble the item for shipping.

[edit] Oops, looks like AZ beat me to it, and I missed that things had gone over onto page 2. I'll leave be, though, to preserve a few more details about the listing. Otherwise, apologies!

randymullx
Victor O

Post by randymullx »

It wasn't your listing I was referring to and to be honest, this one didn't say that either. What they said in the listing was:
I read this type of oak cabinet is called a humpback model with the fancy Roman column corners.
Looking closely at the photos, it is indeed a humpback.
Attachments
Humpback or no..JPG

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Early II's had raised area where the back bracket mounts. Later was flat like every other machine. See picture
Attachments
1175.jpeg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry B. wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm Yes, as others mentioned, it's the bulge in the back panel of the cabinet where the back bracket mounts. It must have been cheaper to manufacture the cabinet with the bulge rather than change the size of the cast back bracket. As far as Victor horn machine go, the humpback II is rather common. But I'd argue it is one of the best proportioned and most attractive models that Victor produced. Personally, I vastly prefer the hump back over the slightly later plain case Victor II. Both styles have a robust single spring motor. I've heard it argued that the shorter tone arm on either style is harder on discs when compared to the longer tone arm on Victors III and up.

Jerry B.
I don’t believe that the back bracket had anything to do with the hump. A new pattern would have been a one time expense, and it would not be expensive. The hump is actually partially hollow to allow room for the spring barrel and gear. The small cabinet was not large enough to accommodate the motor. I do agree with Jerry that “But I'd argue it is one of the best proportioned and most attractive models that Victor produced. Personally, I vastly prefer the hump back over the slightly later plain case Victor II.”.

It is one of my favorites and it would be one of the last to go. It displays well and is very iconic with every feature that I like in an external horn machine, (pinstriped back bracket, bullet brake, female crank, Nickel plating, fluted columns, near perfect proportions and that hump for added interest). It also plays very well. I also see that I am overdue for a little dusting.
Attachments
76D10AA7-78A2-41DE-853C-38386AC83EF1.jpeg
76D10AA7-78A2-41DE-853C-38386AC83EF1.jpeg (111.1 KiB) Viewed 606 times
3AB312E9-8AC4-45F2-964D-A1807D75EB9D.jpeg
3AB312E9-8AC4-45F2-964D-A1807D75EB9D.jpeg (130.7 KiB) Viewed 606 times
11008E0B-F40B-4CCB-B374-7ECDB65F41AC.jpeg
11008E0B-F40B-4CCB-B374-7ECDB65F41AC.jpeg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 606 times

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Anyone looking at https://www.ebay.com/itm/324916830918 that was referenced earlier on this post, please be aware that the crank has been modified to work with a pin type winding shaft. The end of the cast frame that supports the spindle has also been repaired or modified. The horn is a bit rough and the entire machine will need to be serviced, (fortunately, that is not a big job because the Victor II is an uncomplicated machine). These motors are expensive and hard to come by, so I would consider this particular machine to be a bit overpriced. Your opinion may differ.
Attachments
BFC787A4-40DF-4144-9E00-5A14CBC9D106.jpeg
9ECB94C5-8E51-4D12-AB8B-88A25BDB97B9.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I don’t believe that the back bracket had anything to do with the hump. A new pattern would have been a one time expense, and it would not be expensive. The hump is actually partially hollow to allow room for the spring barrel and gear. The small cabinet was not large enough to accommodate the motor. I do agree with Jerry that “But I'd argue it is one of the best proportioned and most attractive models that Victor produced. Personally, I vastly prefer the hump back over the slightly later plain case Victor II.”.
Django, I think you're spot on correct! :)

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Django wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:54 pm The end of the cast frame that supports the spindle has also been repaired or modified.
Where are you seeing repair/modification? All looks normal to me.