Expert Stylus Co

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chilesave
Victor II

Expert Stylus Co

Post by Chilesave »

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Expert Stylus in the UK.

I am looking for someone who can make a diamond stylus on brass shank that I can use to play Edison diamond discs on a Sonora phonograph.

The Sonora originally would have come with a diamond stylus and a sapphire stylus that could have been installed in the reproducer. I have never seen these anywhere and thought they would have to be made. I have attached pictures of what would have originally been provided with a Sonora.

I have been unsuccessful in contacting Expert Stylus and don't know who might be able to make these.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks,
diamond stylus.jpg
original sonora styli.jpg
original sonora styli.jpg (105.32 KiB) Viewed 1425 times

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Expert Stylus Co

Post by drh »

As luck would have it, I've just been in correspondence with Expert in the past three days or so and sent a package of assemblies for retipping this afternoon. The company e-mail address is info@expertstylus.co.uk and I received a reply within less than 24 hours when I first wrote to it with my inquiry.

Incidentally, similar Pathé styli do turn up on eBay from time to time, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the odd Edison one as well.

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

I dont get it. I have emailed them twice last week to the same address. Never got a reply at all.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Emails in my experience seem to becoming somewhat unreliable these days. On occasion, I have received messages that were sent weeks previously. Others do not reappear at all. I am not sure what the problem is but the extent of electronic smog around the planet must be mind-blowing. Perhaps drh could relay messages or perhaps I could help ?

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

Thank you both for your help. I will try emailing and calling again to see if I can catch up with them.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Not that you asked, but I would personally tell you not to bother with this. I have had multiple versions of these Edison styli, all unsatisfactory. The tip chips easily, and even when the tip appears good, they nearly always mark the records. I would hate to see you spend significant funds on something that you are likely to immediately dismiss.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Something just occurred to me: have you checked your e-mail spam folder? I find that surprisingly often "real" mail will get routed into mine. If you have gmail, check the "promotions" tab, too, if you haven't already.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

The Phonograph Shop has the diamond tipped stylus right now. www.thephonographshop.com.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hey Dick-- I have a couple originals. I'll dig them out within the hour (after dinner) :) and look them over and send pics to you.

Brad Abell

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi- Just realized that this thread was from March.. Oh well- I already took pics. I'll send them your way.

Brad Abell