My new to me VE 4-20X

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

My new to me VE 4-20X

Post by Dischoard »

So I picked this up whilst traveling the wilds of CT. The fella was just looking to get it out of his house and so I was happy to oblige. At first I was thinking that I would just get it for the reproducer as it's in absolutely incredible shape. But in looking online for information on this machine, seeing as how there were only 2,000 something made, I decided I would make this my next project. Seems like, other than a bit of cleaning, and redoing that top (which looks as though it was used in a vet's office while they clipped the toenails of angry cats and dogs), I will just need to get a new back bracket (once they become available again), and put in a LOT of elbow grease. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Here are the before pics which will also just serve as a detail for anyone with questions searching the internet in the future!
The grill cloth was in surprisingly good shape
The grill cloth was in surprisingly good shape
The finish leaves my work cut out for me but should clean up okay with GoJo and Restore-A-Finish
The finish leaves my work cut out for me but should clean up okay with GoJo and Restore-A-Finish
Victor VE 4-20X Serial no. 1014. Only approx. 2,350 were made, this is right in the middle
Victor VE 4-20X Serial no. 1014. Only approx. 2,350 were made, this is right in the middle
4 Open Back.jpg
5 Scratched Lid.jpg
6 Inside.jpg
7 Inside Removed Platter.jpg
7 Inspected.jpg
This thing is just BARELY hanging in there...
This thing is just BARELY hanging in there...
8 Pot Metal Back Bracket2.jpg
But this is amazing
But this is amazing
9 Reproducer Front.jpg
10 Motor Board Removed.jpg
Just ordered the wire to replace this
Just ordered the wire to replace this
Found this spring in the bottom of the cabinet, looked at the other side for a hint on how to hook it back together
Found this spring in the bottom of the cabinet, looked at the other side for a hint on how to hook it back together
This is actually a pretty nicely made record box. They don't make 'em like this anymore
This is actually a pretty nicely made record box. They don't make 'em like this anymore
This is the support for the record box. You also get a view of the folded horn inside.
This is the support for the record box. You also get a view of the folded horn inside.
15 Motor Data Plate.jpg
15 Motor.jpg
16 Oil Instructions.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: My new to me VE 4-20X

Post by Inigo »

Nice find! I'd love to find things like these herein...
Inigo

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

In some parts of the US it’s legal to use that record box as a stash box. Model 4-20 only, of course.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

:roll:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

PeterF wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:19 pm In some parts of the US it’s legal to use that record box as a stash box. Model 4-20 only, of course.
Ha! It's legal here in VT now so I'm not sure the reference is going to stick around for much longer but I can remember the celebrations at UVM back in the 90s every year on April 20th... the model number of this machine certainly hasn't escaped me ;)

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how good it will sound once you seal up the plumbing.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

And replace the back bracket.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Grille cloth looks good which is a plus.
Best regards ... AZ*

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

If you ever get a chance to see the 1929 talkie "Coquette" with a very grown up Mary Pickford there is a scene where they are playing a 4-20 but the doors are closed. I imagine they thought the audience would not notice!

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

I replaced the old, hardened, cracked, shorted wire. It made quite a mess. This is actually my favorite part of the whole thing. Even replaced the wire all around the motor board though no photos. Cleaned up the connectors then plugged it in and crossed fingers. Cleaned up the brake with a little de-oxit spray which loosened everything up immediately. She's purring like a cat with a little bit of a lung infection ;) I think I just need to add a little more lubrication to the moving components underneath. We'll see.

I'm not using the original reproducer but rather one from a 2-55. I'm still in the process of rebuilding the original, only got as far as removing, cleaning, and lubing the bearings and replacing the gasket. Though I gotta say, even just doing that did wonders to the sound. Here's the video I shot this morning. So much work left to do!

https://youtu.be/I2fXblOoIqI
IMG_6108.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6110.JPG