Polyphone horns?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Polyphone horns?

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It seems that it has long been commonly accepted opinion that Polyphones used black funnel horns that had rings attached to the edge of the bell, to chain the two horns together for security. But is that really true? I'm not aware of any original ads or photos showing such linked horns. What evidence is there to back up this belief? Might these horns have been simply made for use with a table crane or other support? I've certainly seen 14" brass horns with hangers, though attached to the body rather than the bell.
Attachments
IMG-2932.jpg
IMG-2931.jpg

Phonomark
Victor II

Re: Polyphone horns?

Post by Phonomark »

Rene-

Good question.

However, if these horns were only for table cranes, why would the bell and body seam of the horn be facing up for all to see rather than down like all other cylinder machine horns?

When grouped together above and below each other in a polyphone setup and then connected by a chain, the seams of the horns face inside and towards each other (ie: less apparent or visible). That's one reason why I always considered these as polyphone horns. It's also worth noting that true polyphone horns are much thinner and lighter that other funnel horns. When having both types in hand, it's quite apparent that one is lighter in weight.

Mark

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Phonomark wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:18 pm It's also worth noting that true polyphone horns are much thinner and lighter that other funnel horns.
An interesting point. But then again, not all funnel horns with the ring are much thinner and lighter -- there seems to be a lot of variation there. And if they aren't light, it again brings up the question of why there would be a ring on the heavier examples.

The horns that came with my Standard Polyphone (no way to know if they are original to it) weigh 7.6 oz. and 7.4 oz. respectively. Another horn with ring I have is 8.3 oz. But I have an original funnel horn without ring, found 'in the wild' with a Columbia A, which is the lightest of all at 7.0 oz.

I'm mystified.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I have long questioned the belief that the presence of a ring on the bell of an early "funnel" horn denotes use on a Polyphone Attachment. I've never encountered any period images showing such an arrangement, nor can I see what advantage would be gained by attaching the horns together.

Until period documentation comes to light proving these horns to have been intended for Polyphones, I must remain skeptical. That said, I'd be genuinely grateful to be further educated on this point. My only interest here is the truth.

George P.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Well folks, I believe strongly that these horns were intended for Polyphones. Several of my setups have a problem with the higher horn wanting to rotate around slamming into the wall behind it when lifting the carriage up and down. The 2 loops connected with a very short chain (one or two links) actually keeps both horns from rotating because each horn have has its own plane of rotatiion and when linked together, keeps both horns from rotating. These funnel horns would never require crane support so why else would the loops be there? My post applies to Edison machines only.

Update:
Upon looking at some Columbia Polyphones on-line, the Polyphone attachments for these machines did not require an elbow to direct the horn towards the front of the machine and thus would not have an issue with rotating horns.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I found a period advertisement that seems to show the black funnel horns linked if you look closely. Perhaps the loops were meant for polyphones. There may be lots of artistic license in this ad.

Is anyone aware of a fancy embossed metal base known to exist? Also, has has anyone seen an origianl long curved elbow for the rear horn, other than the ones recently made?

It would be nice to have proof of any of these mysteries, but Polyphone photos are exceedingly rare.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220508-105624_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-104451_eBay.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Thanks for posting that, Scott. While not 100% conclusive, that really does seem to show a loop when viewed at large magnification.

I'm not aware of any of those cast-base Polyphones surviving -- assuming any were actually made. It sure would be a treasure!

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

phonohound wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:57 am I found a period advertisement that seems to show the black funnel horns linked if you look closely. Perhaps the loops were meant for polyphones. There may be lots of artistic license in this ad.

Is anyone aware of a fancy embossed metal base known to exist? Also, has has anyone seen an origianl long curved elbow for the rear horn, other than the ones recently made?

It would be nice to have proof of any of these mysteries, but Polyphone photos are exceedingly rare.
'Artistic licence' says it all: a Standard top works, cut and pasted onto the base, with no hole for the crank? :?

- Bill

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

There is another ad showing this Polyphone "Special," this time clearly with a crank (and appropriate bezel). But there's no indication of loops on the horns in this ad.
Attachments
poly-special.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

TinfoilPhono wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:43 pm There is another ad showing this Polyphone "Special," this time clearly with a crank (and appropriate bezel). But there's no indication of loops on the horns in this ad.
What a trophy THAT would be!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan