Corner Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Corner Victrola

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Cabinet Frankenphones are rare but you can certainly find them. (But not nearly as nice as this one!)
Attachments
E017BF43-AA27-4446-A0CF-4050A7DE86BB.jpeg

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I think we can all agree this isn't a Victor product. Even the hardware isn't Victor parts. I would be curious to see the horn configuration. I'm not convinced it didn't start its life as an electric phono, and as a project became acoustic at the same time all the "Victrola" branding appeared. The style of the cabinet seems a little more modern than the works of the machine.

Nonetheless, someone put a good amount of effort into this. As a novelty/fantasy piece, at the right price and had I the space for it, I would consider picking it up.

JP

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

All the hardware appears to be from the Victor / HMV stable, including motor and turntable. The soundbox is an EMI era "HMV" / Columbia / Pathé fairly common type found on portables and late Pathé table / cabinet machines.

I bet the horn is divided into two sections with each mouth terminating behind those grilles, leaving space between for the motor. If I had the option I'd buy it in a heart beat and not care one jot about its provenance, genuine or "reproduction". It could be unique but it oozes with quality and style.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

As a reassurance to me that the seller is legit, he sent me a few more pictures of gramophones he has sold in the past.
Of course he also sent me his bank details for me to immediately transfer money to him. 50% before and 50% after he packs and ships it to from India.
Sure I will.
They all have some original parts. My guess is these all came from the homes of rich Bollywood stars. Over the years they have been 'restored'.
Attachments
b.jpg
a.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Oh, that's a pity, if it's a risky buying proposition. I'd half thought it was from someone you knew or at the very least from someone who could offer some kind of sellers' warranty through their available payment methods. It sounds like it is best left well alone then?

I still like it and would snap it up if it was "in the wild" and I stumbled upon it unexpectedly.