A Victrola XVIII 18 for only $250?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

A Victrola XVIII 18 for only $250?

Post by Jonsheff »

Found a Victrola XVIII in mahogany last night on Marketplace for only $250 comimg from an estate sale. contacted the guy today and paid a deposit and pickup tomorrow, only an hour away. This has to be one of the best deals i found. Looks like its missing door knobs, and possibly reproducer but otherwise looks complete. Someone did a shoddy restore on the finish, completely wrong color, cherry when it was originally mahogany (logo gives it away) but i really dont care about that since i will be doing a full restore anyway.

Will post pictures tomorrow

Jonsheff
Victor II

Re: A Victrola XVIII 18 for only $250?

Post by Jonsheff »

Here is the last XVIII i restored, i expect this new one to come out similar
Screenshot_20220505-213218_Gallery.jpg

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

It sounds like you got a good deal. I look forward to seeing the before and after photos.
Best regards ... AZ*

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I'm so glad that you Jon will be able to save another XVIII. There simply aren't enough people with your skills who can do it correctly. Hope you post your restoration progress on this one too.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Was that the one in CT? Saw that one but the "refinish" totally scared me away. Figured it'd find its way into MUCH better hands and it has!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Jonsheff wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:17 pm Found a Victrola XVIII in mahogany last night on Marketplace for only $250 comimg from an estate sale. contacted the guy today and paid a deposit and pickup tomorrow, only an hour away. This has to be one of the best deals i found. Looks like its missing door knobs, and possibly reproducer but otherwise looks complete. Someone did a shoddy restore on the finish, completely wrong color, cherry when it was originally mahogany (logo gives it away) but i really dont care about that since i will be doing a full restore anyway.

Will post pictures tomorrow
I've noticed that prices tend to drop precipitously on the Victrola XVIIIs when they have been refinished, that is, unless someone such as Jonsheff is doing the work. ;)

Garret

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

It is in the right hands to bring it back to life. Post pictures of your progress.

swamprad
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Mark R. Mills

Post by swamprad »

I saw that and hoped you had gotten it! I was going to email you about it, but was already sold when I saw it. Congratulations!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It is in the right hands to bring it back to life. Post pictures of your progress.
Agreed! Jerry B.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

Thanks for all the encouragement, restoring an 18 is a daunting task, lots of hand sanding but well worth the reward when finished.
I am at the pickup point waiting on the seller to meet me.

Oh Snap! the back is totally missing. there is always a catch with these things. Also missing knobs and reproducer, thats the easy part. Figuring out the back is going to be a challenge.