HMV 194 Gramophone For Sale in California TOMORROW

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Garret
Victor IV

HMV 194 Gramophone For Sale in California TOMORROW

Post by Garret »

I'd post this to the ebay and auction alert section, but this machine is so rarely seen in the United States, maybe once in a blue moon: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12 ... r-victrola. They only made a couple hundred of them. Photos below the signature for posterity. Only an EMG or HMV 202 would sound better, and then it would depend on the recording. Worth every penny.

Best,

Garret

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: HMV 194 Gramophone For Sale in California TOMORROW

Post by Lucius1958 »

Photos are not displaying... :-(

- Bill

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Lucius1958 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:09 pm Photos are not displaying... :-(

- Bill
Weird. They work for me here both on another browser and on my phone. Refresh and try the link?

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Bid it up to $800. Lost, it went for $850. Would have been nice to use a model for my HMV 203 refinish.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

The buyer got an absolute steal. I'm super happy for them. I'm sure they will share photos when it's all sorted out. :D

Garret

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Do we know who won it? What a bargain. Wow.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

PeterF wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:55 pm Do we know who won it? What a bargain. Wow.
Yup. They can reveal himself if they want to. Got an absolute steal.

Garret

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I don't know much about these English machines. Does it have a horn similar to a Credenza or a Victor 8-35? If I didn't have a house so full or spent so much money the last couple of months I would have gone higher. I would assume it has a standard Victor four spring Burton motor. What about all you California guys?? I was shipping it to New Hampshire.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Skihawx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:27 am I don't know much about these English machines. Does it have a horn similar to a Credenza or a Victor 8-35? If I didn't have a house so full or spent so much money the last couple of months I would have gone higher. I would assume it has a standard Victor four spring Burton motor. What about all you California guys?? I was shipping it to New Hampshire.
The HMV 194 used the same type of four chamber all-metal (Credenza-like) re-entrant horn installed in the smaller HMV163, but it was larger/longer, measuring around seven feet in length. (The 163's tone chamber, shown below, was six feet, like the Credenza's).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.45 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
2Capture.JPG
2Capture.JPG (46.84 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
OrthoFan

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

There was an old post here stating the sizes of hmv folded horn machines. I have a 194 like this one, which I found in an advert and was a most serendipity... I ended purchasing it for 900€, and never repented. It sounds marvelous! It's not an EMG/Expert nor a 202/203, but I'm sure, judging by its sound, that it's a keeper and one of the Great League machines. Some records never leave fascinating me when played on it.... One never gets used to that great sound... Just playing any of the Duke Ellington electrical recordings, or Fats Waller, or Paul Whiteman, or Bing Crosby... And in other order of things, any of the late 1940s HMVs in the DB21000s. These sound astounding, either sung or by an orchestra... I love specially the last recordings of Gigli in this series. And Kirsten Flagstad's. Or any of the old mid to late twenties London HMV recordings by Pau Casals or Andrés Segovia, or the late Paderewski recordings. Some HMV classical recordings are really good, and in this machine sound supreme. You simply close your eyes and it seems the artists performing live in the room!
Inigo