Broken Backs and Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Broken Backs and Phonographs

Post by CharliePhono »

Well Brad, as a charter member of the Low Back Losers Club, I can most definitely sympathize. Years ago, I had a large booth in an antique mall and was constantly supplying it with heavy phonos and console radios and the like, all hefted generally by hand (alone) up one flight of stairs to my booth. That was well and good until I hit about 50, when I thought I could continue playing Charles Atlas with these pieces of heavy furniture. I was still doing such things (stupidly) right through my 60s, but no more. I have spinal stenosis and on top of that ruptured a lumbar disc a couple of years ago, so my heavy lifting days are done. I like to say I sacrificed my spine to the phono/radio hobby!

My last attempt at being Hercules was trying to lift a newly-acquired Credenza from its side to an upright position. I had even removed the motor board to ostensibly make it lighter. I was forced to call on my 22-year-old neighbor dude to help lift the beast up onto its feet. Oh, the humanity! Feel better soon, fellow spine sufferer!

Charlie

colmike1
Victor III

Re: Broken Backs and Phonographs

Post by colmike1 »

I'm sorry to hear of your injury. Although I have never broken anything, 8 weeks ago I had surgery on my lower neck and within the next couple of years they will be doing surgery on my lower back and hip. Much of it due to a lifelong battle with arthritis but also a lifelong obsession with phonographs. I have completely sworn off uprights. Even the table models are getting a little heavy for me these days :-(
Mike Wohl