Edison Long Play

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

Edison Long Play

Post by JohnM »

A couple of years ago, I found this 1-C Long Play Disc Phonograph on Facebook Marketplace listed as a Schubert Edisonic for $800. I watched it for about two months, then sent a $200 offer. The seller responded that she felt insulted by my offer, and then a month after that, she wrote back and sold it to me. When I made the two-hour drive to pick it up, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had four reproducers with it — the stock bronze reproducers (regular and Long Play), and a gold regular and a gold Edisonic. There were also 27 electric Diamond Discs, but no Long Play discs. Unfortunately, the stylus in the Long Play reproducer was toast.
I’ve since managed to acquire one 10” Long Play disc that has only one playable side.
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Lynn Bilton had a Long Play reproducer listed on his website. He had no way to test it, but offered a money-back guarantee, so I bought it. When it arrived, I was again pleasantly surprised to discover that it plays perfectly! I’ll be sending it to Wyatt along with the factory bronze reproducer to have him install the good stylus bar in the bronze one.
Here it is playing. Sorry for the longish run-in.
https://youtu.be/1j8JXzRtPDY
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Victor VI

Re: Edison Long Play

Post by 52089 »

Keep hunting and you'll find more LP discs without having to break the bank. I've had my LP machine for about 3 years. I have 2 very clean 10" discs and 2 semi-playable 12" discs and only 1 of those cost me more than $100.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

52089 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:41 pm Keep hunting and you'll find more LP discs without having to break the bank. I've had my LP machine for about 3 years. I have 2 very clean 10" discs and 2 semi-playable 12" discs and only 1 of those cost me more than $100.
This is the third Long Play Disc Phonograph that I’ve found in the wild in 55 years. I had a 3-C in the 1970s and a 4-C in the 1980s. The first one had a 10” and a 12” Long Play record with it, but they were toast. The 12” disc had a huge chip out of it! Neither one of the Long Play reproducers had a good stylus.

I wouldn’t mind having a couple of more discs, for sure!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The sound on the video might be even better if you opened the door covering the horn and close the lid. It's a beautiful machine. I hope you can find more LPS and make more videos.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

audiophile102 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:18 pm The sound on the video might be even better if you opened the door covering the horn and close the lid. It's a beautiful machine. I hope you can find more LPS and make more videos.
That’s just a grille over the horn, not a door, so sound is only affected by the thin cloth. I like hearing the sound bouncing from the diaphragm to the record, to the lid, and out into the room combined with the horn output. After a lifetime of rock concerts, surface noise is the least of my concerns lol! Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope that I can find a couple of more records.