Victor Credenza Barn Find Rescue And Info On The Restore

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Victor Credenza Barn Find Rescue And Info On The Restore

Post by Herderz »

It has been months since the Brunswick Stratford restore. Been listening to it as work my way through my clock collection yearly run-out. Been looking for a new machine all the while but nothing has caught my eye locally. That changed today, call me crazy but I got a machine at a estate sale, a barn find with many challenges. Brought home a Victor Credenza #21753 for $49 an many pieces. It has water damage to the top and back. Termite damage to the back legs. Looks like someone used it and a paint bench. Everything is there as far as I can tell but the crank handle, one missing door knob and 2 missing governor weights on the 4 spring motor for some reason. Governor springs are all there but just one weight. The Orthophonic reproducer appears to be in good shape with a needle sending sound to the horns. I can not wind it up yet because of the weight issue and the crank, but mechanically I think I got a good starting point. Where to start? The cabinet I think 3 months to get to my liking. The motor less time with getting missing parts. Reproducer rebuild I will have to research as I have not done a Ortho yet. Hum, got things to think about. Here she is after washing and using Howard bees wax to start the wood reconditioning, mind you I can already see her glorious finished rescue in my mind. The walnut cabinet showing her beautiful wood grain. Now how to get there. This will challenge my skillsets but I am not afraid to try, she is worth that at the least. I truly believe that if I had not brought her home today she would have been in the dumpster tomorrow.
20220515_173815.jpg
20220515_173828.jpg
20220515_173855.jpg
20220515_173927.jpg
20220515_173953.jpg
20220515_174216.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor Credenza Barn Find Rescue And Info On The Restore

Post by JerryVan »

You done good! You got the very desirable brass reproducer, worth several times what the whole machine cost you. These are marvelous machines. You'll find lots of help here and you'll love the end result.

I have reproduction feet. PM me if you're interested.

Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Post by Herderz »

Thanks Jerry, It is good to know that there are repro's of the feet. That is one of the things I am looking forward to. I have a lathe and one good foot on the machine. I can make four new feet based on the one good one I have. That is one of the things I love about a restore, missing something, make it and you love your finished product even more. What about the governor weights and the right crank and 1 door knob. You have them in your stores of many items? That will be were I will need help.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Getting a brass reproducer with the credenza is a major win. I would not consider rebuilding the reproducer, because it's a lot more difficult than it looks. There are skilled individuals with a lot of experience who can do it for you and considering your initial investment, it would be well worth the cost. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Good luck with the restoration! Credenza's are wonderful phonographs.

David

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

She's going to take some work, but you did well. Any Credenza is worth saving in my opinion.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

audiophile102 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 am Getting a brass reproducer with the credenza is a major win. I would not consider rebuilding the reproducer, because it's a lot more difficult than it looks. There are skilled individuals with a lot of experience who can do it for you and considering your initial investment, it would be well worth the cost. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195
I'm inclined to disagree. It's good to learn.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:33 pm
audiophile102 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 am Getting a brass reproducer with the credenza is a major win. I would not consider rebuilding the reproducer, because it's a lot more difficult than it looks. There are skilled individuals with a lot of experience who can do it for you and considering your initial investment, it would be well worth the cost. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195
It's even better to have a sound box in excellent working order. Although I've fine-tuned my Exhibition, I'd hesitate to work on an Ortho box, if only because of the delicate diaphragm. If I had a nice original brass Ortho I'd send it out, but that's just my 2¢-worth.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:33 pm
Learn on a junky pot metal unit if you must. Don't risk damaging a good brass one for your first attempt.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Nice early 1926 model. I am eager to see this machine working and looking great! 👍