Victor Credenza Barn Find Rescue And Info On The Restore

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Victor Credenza Barn Find Rescue And Info On The Restore

Post by Inigo »

In a further step, you could take our the grille and seal the joints in the wood horn, then also seal the joint between the metal part and the wood horn. You'll have to remove the back board and work from the back and the front of the horn.
If you get the horn pretty airtight, the bass still improves!
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

They're incredible machines! It will sound even better when the lid is installed and closed while playing.

Kudos for saving this Credenza!

Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Post by Herderz »

Thanks Inigo, I did have to make a new gasket out of leather and put grease on both sides to seal the bottom of the tonearm board to the cast iron throat of the horn. The tonearm board had been removed and was just setting on the cabinet. No gasket in site. The seal on the wood horn looked good but I guess it would not hurt to seal it again way.
Thanks Jerry, I am going to start on the lid next.

I have a question about the horn, being a novice to these machines. The way it looks to me is that the cast iron horn throat goes to the cast iron base of the horn and is divided into a left side and a right side. Then to a upper and lower outlet and each side. Would that mean the horn has 4 cone outlets?
20220517_072556.jpg
20220517_072546.jpg
20220803_132988.jpg

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Herderz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 amI have a question about the horn, being a novice to these machines. The way it looks to me is that the cast iron horn throat goes to the cast iron base of the horn and is divided into a left side and a right side. Then to a upper and lower outlet and each side. Would that mean the horn has 4 cone outlets?
In a word, yes, although not exactly cone-shaped. Most large Orthophonic and HMV re-entrant horns subdivide into 4 sections to enable the large horn to fit into a reasonably sized cabinet. This is illustrated in the "phantom" views of the horn in the instruction manual and elsewhere.
Best regards ... AZ*

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Here's the "phantom" view I mentioned in my previous post:
Credenza horn.jpg
Best regards ... AZ*

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

That horn looks fantastic, but improvements can be done sealing the wooden corners and joints from the front side, as far as you may reach with your fingers, with some kind of paste wax or wood sealer... And from the back we can see that black substance that might be asphalt-like sealer which can be repacked. Other joints that you may see will benefit from sealing.
Of course, the difficult thing is to reach those inner convolutions and divisions, but from behind, they seem to be possible to dismantle and then reassembled... Is it possible?
Also tempted to say you to wax the wooden surfaces, somebody has ever done that? Will this change the warm quality of these horns into something too brilliant?
In the other hand, the similar reentrant hmv horns are made of metal, and they sound beautifully, not exaggeratedly brilliant.
If the credenza were mine, I would wax the wooden surfaces to make them smoother and more airtight.
But other experts herein could give better advice than me; I've never owned a credenza! :mrgreen:
Inigo

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Thanks AZ, the diagram reaffirms what I thought.
Inigo, I coated the inside of the wood horn with Howards feed and wax to condition the wood. I got plenty of time and probably will seal the joints with silicone.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Great!
Inigo

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

I have been working on the lid the last few days, trying to save the inside label. My Brunswick label save did not turn out quit like I would of liked but I did learn a little bit and will try to have a better out come this time.
20220913_134547.jpg
I got new felt for the turn table. The original had moth hole? or something that made it's way through the felt. The gold plate was all but gone. I cleaned the edge of the plater and used gold gild on the edge.
20220914_084842.jpg
20220914_100739.jpg
Next I decided to make a dashpot pivot screw for the one I am missing. It is a 10-32 thread. I turned down a machine screw head to .215" and cut it to length. It should be as good as factory.
20220915_110114.jpg
20220915_110901.jpg
20220915_111101.jpg
20220915_112052.jpg
I ordered 2 reproduction motor lift knobs. They are nickel plated brass. I buffed off the nickel to get to the brass for the gold color I need for the credenza.
20220915_121933.jpg
20220915_130541.jpg

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

I spun a few disc's today being satisfied with where I am at today. I set the lid on top with each play. Sounds very good. I might try a video after I get it all together.