Early Victor MS Mystery ID

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Crank_it_up
Victor III

Early Victor MS Mystery ID

Post by Crank_it_up »

I have an early Victor MS with an unusual Serial Number of “132 X” see images. It is a front mount only as I would have expected. I’m posting some pics and maybe someone can help with information on the “X” designation. There is no paper label on the original bottom. I’m planning to bring it to the Chicago show.
Thanks, Joe
Attachments
BA6E7B73-2EA9-44A5-884E-82BCE9B1AF1A.jpeg
2CDF6B44-1274-4A35-AC7C-F751A64EC5CA.jpeg
4A48F9A1-A754-46C8-9C31-A2BED2094488.jpeg
794C49AC-9F76-47CF-83FB-90FA58608D83.jpeg

Kevin Clark
Victor I

Re: Early Victor MS Mystery ID

Post by Kevin Clark »

Thinking possibly X for example, prototype maybe. Have an MS with a serial number of 181, and no paper label with the same motor. Have seen one early mahogany version of the MS that was fitted with a single spring motor. Probably the same motor as what was used on the Eldridge Johnson M.

drboruff
Victor O

Post by drboruff »

Could "x" represent a machine manufactured for export? I've never heard of Victor doing this, so just a longshot guess after giving some thought to the "x" designation.
David

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

What a nice machine! I love the patina!

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

The letter X is the Roman numeral for 10. Could 132(X) be shorthand for 132(10)? That's just a guess. I have no idea whether 13210 makes sense for an early, pre-dog MS.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Kevin Clark wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:45 am Thinking possibly X for example, prototype maybe. Have an MS with a serial number of 181, and no paper label with the same motor. Have seen one early mahogany version of the MS that was fitted with a single spring motor. Probably the same motor as what was used on the Eldridge Johnson M.
Kevin, does your early MS have 2 motor board support arms? My much later MS with tapering arm only has one. I cannot find any other differences yet.
Thanks for everyone’s input. Keep the ideas coming.
Joe

Kevin Clark
Victor I

Post by Kevin Clark »

Yes it has the two motor board support arms. Have another three digit serial number MS and it is the same way. Odd that on both machines the arms do not have a notch in them that would rest on a screw and actually support the motor board.
George P. might have an explanation for the X designation. Lowest serial number on an MS I have seen.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Kevin Clark wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 am George P. might have an explanation for the X designation. Lowest serial number on an MS I have seen.
I wish I did!

George P.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Kevin Clark wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 am Yes it has the two motor board support arms. Have another three digit serial number MS and it is the same way. Odd that on both machines the arms do not have a notch in them that would rest on a screw and actually support the motor board.
George P. might have an explanation for the X designation. Lowest serial number on an MS I have seen.
Kevin, I was thinking the same thing about the 2 supports not being notched. They only prevent the board from going too far open. If you were to bump it slightly it would slam shut quick. Hope your fingers aren’t in the way. Ouch. Fortunately they changed it.
Joe

Kevin Clark
Victor I

Post by Kevin Clark »

Looks like you have the early style of support arm bolts. Different knurl and the crown is more rounded than latter bolts.