Orlando Show 2023

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Fonotone
Victor II

Re: Orlando Show 2023

Post by Fonotone »

George,

You just condensed 20 threads' worth of wisdom into a single post. Thank you. Well done.

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

George, thank you for taking the time to address my curiosity [and concerns]. And, from a marketing point of view, I completely agree! If the show could target new/young buyers, I think selling entry level machines [like mine... ;) ] would be more likely.

I really do need to allocate time in the future to attend some of these shows! I am sure it would help gain exposure for my book/research, too!

Happy Collecting, everyone! :)
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thank you Grant, and you're welcome, Chris.

I hope to see you both at some future show!

George P.

columbia1spring
Victor II
Personal Text: When cycling, an overpass is not considered a mountain!

Post by columbia1spring »

I really don’t know what’s involved in organizing an event, but with Disney in central Florida it makes for lower airfare and very reasonable hotel rooms for travelers. I remember when I started collecting, I would only buy complete, fully functional Phonographs. Then I went to a show and was amazed at all the parts and services available and it changed my whole world. I regret what I passed on prior to attending these shows..

columbia1spring
Victor II
Personal Text: When cycling, an overpass is not considered a mountain!

Post by columbia1spring »

Any updates if there will be an Orlando Show?

Lee
Victor I

Post by Lee »

If one is held, I would definitely go. I bet a lot of other people would also. :)

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

phonogfp wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:11 am As an interested party looking at the Midwest EXPO preparations from the outside, I can attest that these shows are a labor of love and a tremendous amount of work. I don't think anyone will mind if I confide that the APS California EXPO is almost always a money-losing proposition for the organization. But that's not the purpose - these shows are a service to the hobby, and the APS is a not-for-profit.

Mention should be made of Mike Davecka's semi-annual Mechanical Music Extravaganza in Wayne New Jersey (every April and October). His show has been going since 1998, and is well-attended by dealers and public alike. I was there last month and it was great.

I'm very much looking forward to the first Midwest Music EXPO this weekend. I'm sure there will be a few teething problems, but practice makes perfect. My hat's off to the MME Committee and all the work they've done to bring back a major Midwest phonograph/record show.

George P.
I can confirm. There was some talk between me and another Minnesotan of setting up one here in the Twin Cities but the fact of the matter is it would be too small and too expensive to set up. Additionally, the Chicago show would overshadow it one way or another.