Featured Phonograph № 73 - HMV Hornlesss Model No. 1a

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph № 73 - HMV Hornlesss Model No. 1a

Post by alang »

Thanks for all the info Shane. Actually, the 3 spots on the motor board are shallow holes that somebody decided to drill or hit into the wood. I filled them with mahogany wood putty and they are way more visible on the photographs than in real, probably because of the flash. Don't know yet how to fix that better. I plan on having the tonearm re-plated at some point, but I'm not so sure about the back bracket. I think it was nickel plated on some, but black enameled on others. Even in your catalog scan the back bracket looks like it's black, not nickel. Regarding the corner of the back moulding, that is one of those cases of "is it part of the history of the machine or should it be repaired?". Knowing my limits in wood working I think I would make it worse if I touched it, so I'll leave it alone for now. Someone with better skills than I have can still fix a scuffed original, but there is no way back from a bad replacement. And I doubt that I'll have a class M anytime soon. :D
JPGs are great, I can still make them into a pdf. If you want to create PDFs easily you can use free tools like doPDF or others, they simply install as printers in Windows.
Thanks again
Andreas

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

Shane, in my combined printer/scanner options, I can choose to save to PDF or jpg. That's how I did it. I often use PDF because it easily goes across Mac/pc platforms.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I just got this manual for an HMV Model 103, which is generic enough to work for other HMV table models as well - considering that there is hardly anything HMV to be found on the web. Maybe useful for others as well.
Andreas
HMV103-1.jpg
HMV103-2.jpg