New unexpected project-- Long case Edison Home

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

New unexpected project-- Long case Edison Home

Post by dzavracky »

I bought the edison cabinet parts from Brad a few weeks ago and started messing around with them this week. I started with the nice banner decal board because I wanted to see if I could restore the finish on it and use it as a display. The finish came right back to life and looked amazing. So I tried the two sides, the back, and the baseboard and everything came out really well. (Also shout out to VanEpsFan1914 for messing around with this last night for me).

So here is the cabinet for my new project. If anyone here has a correct motor, motor board, carriage, cygnet bracket, and the other misc parts; please send me a PM. (I do have a carriage for this machine). I am not ready to purchase them now... but I will be in the near future.

Cheers,

David
Attachments
0DFC90DF-6F7E-4185-BB6F-9A10575029C7.png
1A567BD4-9E49-4458-B9C6-16AEAC4FDEA1.png
66A9C7B2-0E9C-4EE2-9141-119C11ADBC58.png
412A1987-BE90-4C2B-9BDE-5A7AB2AB3313.png

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: New unexpected project-- Long case Edison Home

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

That was a lot of fun to work on. I like the light you put over the work-bench; that really highlighted just how green the dye was under the finish. That almost looks like the thick layer of waxy grime on it might have been protecting the finish.
The alcohol treatment to re-amalgamate the stuff was pretty great. I was thinking we'd end up having to mix a light coat of shellac for it but everything seemed pretty good under all the dirt & mess. And I don't often go visit friends, but when I do, I enjoy visits that end up with everyone out in the barn at midnight pulling 120 years of dirt out of a piece of wood and putting stuff together.

I suspect your machine is a Model A Home. I worked on a 1904 Home A that looked like it had come out of a time mchine and needed very little to put back in service for recording and playing back 2-minute cylinders. The nice thing is, you'll have an external speed control; the not-so-great thing is that there's a complete Home bedplate on eBay right now with 2/4 gearing--and it is the Model B. The top frame on yours is the big one that'll need to fit the long iron frame of the old type Model A bedplate. I would have suggested putting an early B mechanism in it if there were Home B's with the bottom of an A case fitted, but that's not something I'm sure would be authentic-looking. A lot of work to show off that great banner decal but it should be worth it. Will be looking around to see if a bed plate comes up. Unfortunately I don't have one; my bedplate is for my own Model B Home which will be completed when I get back up to it and pull all the nickel off and take it to the plater's.

Since your backboard is drilled for a cygnet horn I wonder if the original bedplate ever got altered to fit the combination gearing.

Love the pictures you took of it; no one would guess what it looked like when you started!

Also--Thank you for not swiping the Woodstock typewriter out of the car when my back was turned. I'll be keeping an eye out. Prefer to be able to find one here and service it before sending it up your way but if you find one up there, you should probably get it and I should get to it when there's a chance. Woodstocks aren't rare but I wish they were more common; they're one of the lightest-running typewriters I've found.
I did find an old 1941 Remington Noiseless 11 "Speed-Stroke" here that might need carriage bearings & a coat of paint. It was black but has been coated gray in the 1950s. The gray is now peeling and it's a piebald typewriter that types like it's got rheumatism, but Remingtons do clean up OK. I also turned up my 1941 Royal KMM which is an art deco style office typewriter that is similar to a Woodstock but very easy to find. Royals in good condition are also quite capable.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I have been offered a nice bedplate and upper casting to complete the project. It is geared for 2 min only records.. and I think I will leave it like that. I don't have a 2 min only machine, so it might be nice to have one devoted to strictly 2 min records. I will be making a decision and purchasing parts as soon as monday. I found a replacement frame... so hopefully I can match the new piece to the green on this cabinet. Should be a fun little challenge ;)

It was definitely a fun visit. The midnight visit to the barn was a highlight for sure. Looking forward to your next visit! (maybe this time I'll get luck with that typewriter :P )

Cheers,

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A two-minute machine set up with that 10-panel should be ideal. Wax cylinders, especially those good band recordings, deserve a nice loud horn. I personally would put a Model B reproducer on it, since you have those softer black wax Columbia cylinders, and they can't be played on the BKT Graphophone with the Lyric.

The upper casting for a Model A should again have that external speed knob which should make playing the Columbias a lot easier. Meanwhile I still have to decide what to build around that Searchlight horn, once I get the rust off and put some paint on. (It'd be nice to refinish that in the original style with the tulip petal motif inside the bell; I am also tempted to go with the exterior in a copy, using less toxic materials, of that wonderful old "Paris green" finish that was so popular back in the old days. Besides I like the color green.)

I do not know if any of the modern upgrade type diaphragms will give better performance in the Model B reproducers. Thin mica or glass might be pretty interesting, though.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Received the missing piece of the frame earlier this week and had some time to day to refinish it to match the rest of the frame. I think I got it pretty close!

David
Attachments
507AE547-1F41-447F-AFAE-9826046935CB.png
B3C162B0-465B-452C-9DC2-E325047DBB8D.png

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Through Brian P and a fellow forum member I got almost all the parts I need to complete this Edison home! Just thought I’d share a photo.

David
Attachments
ABC82BA7-F44E-4DC7-8C4C-CEB79C0B8864.png
807B7CA3-8322-4DC5-9815-C22FD45EC303.png

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hey David-- That looks great--- You did a great job pulling together all the parts you needed..... and it all started with me cleaning some case parts off my shelf :) I should clean up more often!

Now how about the Standard case parts you got from me? :) That Home's little brother needs fixing, too :)

Brad Abell

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

David, you may be proud of it ... It looks magnific...!
Inigo

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

outune wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:34 am Hey David-- That looks great--- You did a great job pulling together all the parts you needed..... and it all started with me cleaning some case parts off my shelf :) I should clean up more often!

Now how about the Standard case parts you got from me? :) That Home's little brother needs fixing, too :)

Brad Abell
I will get around to that restoration eventually.... I am a little burned out at the moment :lol: :lol: . I don't even want to think about sanding or finishing another cabinet for awhile. PLUS... I don't have a whole lot of space here in my apartment. I have 12 phonographs in here already... I don't think I can fit anymore! ;)

I will post a youtube video of it playing when I get the last part I need. It's on the way.

Thanks Inigo, I am really happy with it. I always wanted a green oak Edison Home but didn't imagine this would be the way I would end up with one :lol:

Cheers,

David

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Well I finally got all the parts together and it’s runnin great!

Here’s a video: https://youtu.be/tFIdWkN93V8

David