Edison Amberola 50 -- grille cloth?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Edison Amberola 50 -- grille cloth?

Post by eighteenbelow »

Hi, everyone. I recently picked up a lovely Edison Amberola 50 that had been in the same family since new. It's in wonderful condition, although somewhere along the line, someone replaced the grille cloth. (They didn't bother ironing it first, as you can see!) Does someone out there have a 50 with its original grille cloth? If so, would you be so kind as to post pictures of it? And if anyone has any leads as to where I can get a reasonable facsimile, I would be grateful for them. Thank you!
Attachments
Amberola 50 grille cloth front.JPG
Amberola 50 grille cloth back.JPG

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Edison Amberola 50 -- grille cloth?

Post by NEFaurora »

Amberola 50's typically had the usually same Straight Light Tan-ish Gold Colored cloth that Amberola 30's and Amberola 75's share.

Below is a Pic of an original Machine with Original aged cloth. The cloth obviously darkens a bit with age...
Attachments
Amberola 50 Pic 7.jpg
Amberola 50 Pic 7.jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Amberola 50 Pic 8.jpg
Amberola 50 Pic 8.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Amberola994.jpg
Amberola994.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 583 times

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

However, The very, very Early Amberola 50's had something very interesting when it came to the Grille Cloth. It was the same cloth, just more of it, and the cloth was folded in a certain "scalloped" style as seen below and was rarely seen, but definitely worth mentioning. This machine below did not originally come with this style since it is a 3rd model machine, but the owner added it anyway since he liked the early style cloth foldings. This Grille Cloth style would be correct on very Early Series 1 Amberola 50's ONLY. The Nickeled Reproducer is not correct for this series machine either (and was added for eye appeal) as stickler collectors will note. See pics below:
Attachments
Amberola 50 Pic 1.jpg
Amberola 50 Pic 11.jpg
Last edited by NEFaurora on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

A few original Edison Amberola 50 Ads.... from 1917-1919. Note the $68.00 Price tag instead of the Original $50.00 due to WW1 "War Tax" price hikes from President Woodrow Wilson. The U.S. entered WW1 over in Europe in 1917. The Amberola 50 as well as the Amberola 75 were all sold in three distinct finishes: Golden Oak, Fumed Oak, and Mahogany finish. It also had a Dual Mainspring setup just like the Amberola 75 and they would both play 5 cylinders on a single full winding. To contrast, The Amberola 30 had a Single Mainspring setup and would play 3 cylinders on a single full winding, and was only sold in Golden Oak and Fumed Oak finishes.

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

:o)
Attachments
Amberola50 Ad.jpg
Amberola50 Ad.jpg (141.74 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Amberola 50 Ad 1917-1920.jpg
Last edited by NEFaurora on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

To answer the Original OP/Author's Original Question, Reproduction cloth that is "close" to original can be found through a number of Phonograph vendors and also on Ebay from time to time...

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

Here is an all original mahogany Amberola 50 with original grilled cloth louvers as a reference. This phonograph stood the test of time as the mahogany finish still shines beautifully, with minor hint of crazing. Nothing was done to the finish.
Attachments
IMG_20220618_110646.jpg
IMG_20220618_110636.jpg
IMG_20220618_110618.jpg

NEFaurora
Victor IV

Post by NEFaurora »

Very Nice! and Very Original Early 1st Series Amberola 50!! Congrats on your find...! A True Survivor!

PS: Just to satisfy my curiousity... Is your Dataplate behind the Grille??!? Or on the top of the Bedplate?? and What is the Serial Number?!??

Much Thanks..

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
(Formerly from Long Island, NY)

:o)

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

Thanks Tony

The serial number is 4822 and the data plate is behind the gill attached to the right-hand side of the cabinet

This machine will soon be up for sale.

Scott

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Thanks, everyone! I found someone on Ebay selling repro Amberola grille cloth:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303894727557

As I am (my wife would tell you) not so good with colors, which one do you think is a closer match to what would have been in there originally?