Triumph problem #2 tracking.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Triumph problem #2 tracking.

Post by Inigo »

:D
That final reeabo...reeabo...reeabo...reeabo... when you remove your finger...!
These things make me laugh like a child.... cannot avoid it! :D :D
Sorry for the disturbance.... you'll desperate about that and here I am with my absurd laughing... :oops:
Inigo

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 pm If I put my thumb pressure on it I am able to get it to track.
Hey Andy,
Your video proves that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your feed nut and feed nut bar. By applying slight pressure on the feed nut bar you can clearly hear that the cylinder plays properly.

While it's true that the replacement feed nut bar along with the added fine tuning bar that you ordered will allow you to fine tune the tension of the feed nut on the feed screw, you could have also retained your current feed nut bar and half nut and adjusted the carriage on the carriage tube as detailed by several prior posts.

Anyway, you should be all set when the replacement parts arrive. But I would like to gently suggest that someday you try loosening the carriage tube screw in the rear of the carriage and try your luck at adjusting the carriage on its carriage tube and feed screw bar that way. Just for fun...when you become a little more familiar with Edison Home and Triumph phonographs. It would have saved you some time and money. ;)

Doug

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

FellowCollector wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 pm
AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 pm If I put my thumb pressure on it I am able to get it to track.
Hey Andy,
Your video proves that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your feed nut and feed nut bar. By applying slight pressure on the feed nut bar you can clearly hear that the cylinder plays properly.

While it's true that the replacement feed nut bar along with the added fine tuning bar that you ordered will allow you to fine tune the tension of the feed nut on the feed screw, you could have also retained your current feed nut bar and half nut and adjusted the carriage on the carriage tube as detailed by several prior posts.

Anyway, you should be all set when the replacement parts arrive. But I would like to gently suggest that someday you try loosening the carriage tube screw in the rear of the carriage and try your luck at adjusting the carriage on its carriage tube and feed screw bar that way. Just for fun...when you become a little more familiar with Edison Home and Triumph phonographs. It would have saved you some time and money. ;)

Doug
Oh I’m pretty familiar with Homes. It’s that I’m not familiar with triumphs. Or it’s been probably another case of miscommunication. Oh I got some bronze wool today. And rubbed it against the carriage rod to smooth up the rod a bit. I have been unscrewing that adjustment in the back of the carriage and moving it slightly and it just wouldn’t fit. But that adjustment plate will be a BIG help!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’m really tired and frustrated. I’m really beginning to think this machine isn’t for me or I also have a bad feedscrew. All I need to do is calm down and come back to it later. This machine REALLY hates me. I had a hunch this was exactly gonna happen. But the the plate that goes on top of the spring the adjustment screw is rusted and stubborn to turn and is gonna get stripped if I attempt. Sigh. Why does this always happen to me!
Attachments
image.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’m gonna let me take my time and calm down. Let the plate soak in wd40. But I got a feeling the screw might be too damaged to turn.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

Look at your feedscrew and check for pitting, scratches, and mashed threads. If you don't see any, it's very possible that the thread have an oil/dust accumulation in them and need cleaned. I like using a razor blade and kerosene to clean the threads, but I have a steady hand and patience. For you it would be much safer to get some cheap toothbrushes from the Dollar Store and some WD-40 and really scrub the feedscrew. Do the same with the half nut
Clean parts make a difference, and even if you buy another feedscrew, if it is used your are going to have to clean it anyway.
I know Ron Sitko was selling brand new Triumph feedscrews for $50, and at that price, spending $$$ on questionable used screws seems dubious. I don't know if Brian Parlier still has them for such a good price or not, but if he does, and your feedscrew looks questionable, I'd get a new feedscrew and half nut.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wes K wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:10 pm Look at your feedscrew and check for pitting, scratches, and mashed threads. If you don't see any, it's very possible that the thread have an oil/dust accumulation in them and need cleaned. I like using a razor blade and kerosene to clean the threads, but I have a steady hand and patience. For you it would be much safer to get some cheap toothbrushes from the Dollar Store and some WD-40 and really scrub the feedscrew. Do the same with the half nut
Clean parts make a difference, and even if you buy another feedscrew, if it is used your are going to have to clean it anyway.
I know Ron Sitko was selling brand new Triumph feedscrews for $50, and at that price, spending $$$ on questionable used screws seems dubious. I don't know if Brian Parlier still has them for such a good price or not, but if he does, and your feedscrew looks questionable, I'd get a new feedscrew and half nut.
Yeah I think I got a dubious halfnut/plate. It appears this one has some rust on it. And you can see the stripped screw adjustment. I have No idea how difficult it is to replace a feed screw for one of these 2/4 converted machines. Anyway if you see a problem TELL me!
Attachments
AFBE5FDD-2E1D-4B76-B84B-BB91C5B38FD1.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok. I made a couple videos of me talking and explaining my problems with my tracking so hopefully I’m understood even though I’m not that great of explaining things verbally.

https://youtu.be/YBRuLX_F-As

https://youtu.be/K1LpeVCeN8E

https://youtu.be/9mRRNFr7IK8

Otherwise there’s absolutely nothing I can do at this moment. I have no money to throw at this machine. It’s taken me 2 years to get this machine and it might possibly take 2 years to get it working properly.

I may go back to working on my B-19 Diamond Disc machine instead And come back to this later.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Anyway, when A and B Machines were converted I know they had feedscrews that probably had different threads than the original 2 minute only threads. But were half nuts also different for these conversions?

Apart of me kinda wants me to deconvert back to a 2 minute only. And wait till I get a model D or E machine for 4 minute records. I likely won’t. But it’s just a thought.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Your new ½ nut looks excellent, but very dirty. By comparison, the old ½ nut appears very worn.