Triumph problem #2 tracking.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Triumph problem #2 tracking.

Post by AmberolaAndy »

FellowCollector wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:51 pm "Well I took it off anyway and took some photos. If anything looks worn or out of place please notify me!"

The half nut bar and half nut appear to be fine although the threads in the half nut do appear very shallow.
gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 pm Now you're just being silly.
The half nut sits on the feed screw and the threaded contact between the two is what pushes the carriage along.
Yes, the planetary gear do what they do to halve the speed the feed screw rotates and the feed screw would stop rotating if it didn't,
But the carriage going nowhere isn't the problem because the planetary gear is adjusted properly.

My whole point of saying what I did was that the one and only contact point between the feed screw and half nut is what drives the carriage across the record, and if it's skipping grooves it's that one and only point of contact that can be adjusted to stop it.skipping.

So it really doesn't matter what the planetary gear is doing because it's not making it skip grooves and can't be adjusted to stop it :roll:
I'm not going to engage in further discourse on this but I will conclude my contribution to this thread by suggesting that you consider working on a few more Edison and Triumph 2/4 minute planetary gear and clutch assemblies and their affect on moving the carriage. To state "That half nut is the only thing that actually drives the carriage across the record" is completely irrational as there is a lot more going on that impacts carriage movement. My commentary on the 2/4 minute planetary gear and clutch assembly affecting movement of the carriage was another possible issue to consider. You disagree and that's perfectly fine.

All of this said, I respect your contribution to this thread as this person needs help and I applaud anyone reaching out to help.

Doug
Yeah I’m suspecting it’s a mix of the planetary gear being a pain and the half nut threads being shallow. But I can’t do anything until Friday or so.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok I made a thread on the Yankee Trader section for a different halfnut and tracking bar.

I gotta keep my old man happy and buy my own groceries, and for what eBay wants for these parts I don’t think that will be feasible to afford both.

So I’d figure I’d get a nice discount on here compared to eBay. It’s worth a shot.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I shot some emails to various places about the half nut. If I don’t get word by Friday I’ll guess l’ll go back to Croakin’ Frog’s and buy a replacement.

I also ordered some brass brushes and bronze wool to clean off any gunk in the feedscrew.

zonophpones7
Victor I

Post by zonophpones7 »

Maybe I missed someone else suggesting this earlier... however it has been my experience that you have to loosens the two screws that hold the half nut to the spring, lower the carriage and let the half nut engage the feedscrew, then tighten the screws. Sometime the half nut gets out of alignment and this re-aligns it. It has often fixed issues like this for me.

It is a long thread and may have been suggested before and I missed it. Sorry if this is a duplication.
Gregg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

^^^^
fran604g wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:37 am
AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:30 am Maybe I have the tracking bar on incorrectly and it’s not lining up with the treads?
You could remove the half-nut, place it onto the feed screw threads and "feel" if it mates to the threads fully. It should seat fully with no appreciable slop. Then, when you reinstall it on the bar, be sure the half-nut is seated firmly on the feed screw threads while tightening the 2 mounting screws.
I wonder now if it's possible that the half-nut was mounted 180° out of position, and if that might be the trouble. Without placing it on the feedscrew to check whether the threads are in proper mating position it's impossible to analyze the threads condition.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

zonophpones7 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:45 am Maybe I missed someone else suggesting this earlier... however it has been my experience that you have to loosens the two screws that hold the half nut to the spring, lower the carriage and let the half nut engage the feedscrew, then tighten the screws. Sometime the half nut gets out of alignment and this re-aligns it. It has often fixed issues like this for me.

It is a long thread and may have been suggested before and I missed it. Sorry if this is a duplication.
Gregg
I’ll see what I could do here. Hopefully I can get the screws undone without stripping them.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

fran604g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:57 am ^^^^
fran604g wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:37 am
AmberolaAndy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:30 am Maybe I have the tracking bar on incorrectly and it’s not lining up with the treads?
You could remove the half-nut, place it onto the feed screw threads and "feel" if it mates to the threads fully. It should seat fully with no appreciable slop. Then, when you reinstall it on the bar, be sure the half-nut is seated firmly on the feed screw threads while tightening the 2 mounting screws.
I wonder now if it's possible that the half-nut was mounted 180° out of position, and if that might be the trouble. Without placing it on the feedscrew to check whether the threads are in proper mating position it's impossible to analyze the threads condition.
I read that the longer half faces the back, and the shorter half faces the front and that’s how it looks here.
Attachments
AA886E61-41A3-41FB-BC90-8EB9F0BE07AB.jpeg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Hi Andy, the point here is to check if the half-nut threads seat on the feed screw threads, or if one or both are worn to the point they need replacing. These threads are (iirc) directionally cut (called buttress thread) so they mate in a very specific manner. The thread "buttress" provides a stronger "push", if you will, to the half-nut in the direction of play.
Top23-1-5b7f0cb9be777-250x206.jpg
Top23-1-5b7f0cb9be777-250x206.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

fran604g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:19 am Hi Andy, the point here is to check if the half-nut threads seat on the feed screw threads, or if one or both are worn to the point they need replacing. These threads are (iirc) directionally cut (called buttress thread) so they mate in a very specific manner. The thread "buttress" provides a stronger "push", if you will, to the half-nut in the direction of play.
Top23-1-5b7f0cb9be777-250x206.jpg
I have it soaking in PB Blaster, but the screws holding the halfnut is on Victrola no.2 screws level of stubborn at the moment.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Use a very good screwdriver, with a blade that properly fits the screw slot.