Finally… my first Edison DD machine!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jop Amberola 30
Victor Jr

Finally… my first Edison DD machine!

Post by Jop Amberola 30 »

Edison LC-38 “London” model. Found on Facebook Marketplace for $200 by a very elderly lady seller. Clearing out her things since she now lives with her daughter. Showed me a tag inside where she paid $300 for it at a flea market 20+ years ago. Complete and in decent original shape. Finish looks original and just needs a good cleaning. Reproducer has the stylus… but not sure how good yet. Love the cabinet design since I can use it as a table. Got probably 25 DDs with it.

Here’s an initial pic “as found” once it hit my living room. More pics when I start cleaning it up once I recover getting it out of my SUV in 100 degree heat :lol:
Attachments
3D016DB0-5B74-41F6-81D2-D0D0C0DF7749.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Finally… my first Edison DD machine!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Jop Amberola 30 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:09 pm Edison LC-38 “London” model. Found on Facebook Marketplace for $200 by a very elderly lady seller. Clearing out her things since she now lives with her daughter. Showed me a tag inside where she paid $300 for it at a flea market 20+ years ago. Complete and in decent original shape. Finish looks original and just needs a good cleaning. Reproducer has the stylus… but not sure how good yet. Love the cabinet design since I can use it as a table. Got probably 25 DDs with it.

Here’s an initial pic “as found” once it hit my living room. More pics when I start cleaning it up once I recover getting it out of my SUV in 100 degree heat :lol:
The LC-38 was my very first Edison machine in 2016. I sold it in 2019 to afford my Credenza and didn’t really need it anymore since I had a C-19. It’s a decent starter machine,

What records did you get with it? Later machines tend to have more desirable titles with them

Jop Amberola 30
Victor Jr

A starter is fine with me since I know little about these and it’s really the only Edison DD machine I’ve found in these parts that’s been worthy of buying and hauling home. Most are just trashed.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

A lot of people rag on these for being lower end, but a nice example is still desirable in my opinion. Almost all of these I've seen have been scratched up or painted.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Congrats on the DD player. Were there any hot jazz records with it?

Jop Amberola 30
Victor Jr

Any recommended techniques to clean and polish the cabinet? Been awhile since I’ve tackled something this large.

Also… only problem I had getting it home was the lid fell back and stripped out the 2 wood screws securing the support to the lid. I got the original screws. Best way to fill those holes in and remount?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jop Amberola 30 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:34 pm Any recommended techniques to clean and polish the cabinet? Been awhile since I’ve tackled something this large.

Also… only problem I had getting it home was the lid fell back and stripped out the 2 wood screws securing the support to the lid. I got the original screws. Best way to fill those holes in and remount?
I take shish kabob sticks and point them in a pencil sharpener. Then, with a little glue, I tap them into the holes, let the glue dry, snip off the rest of the kabob stick, make small start hole with an awl, and run in the screws. (Why kabob sticks? Because a I have them already. Toothpicks work too.)

BTW, almost everybody learns the hard way about the lid flopping back with their first floor model machine.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

GoJo hand cleaner without pumice works great for cleaning phonograph cabinets. There is also a product called Kotton Kleanser that works great also but most stores don't have it. Just work in one area at a time and you will be amazed on how it turns out.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Congratulations! I get a lot of pleasure playing diamond disk records on my A250. I replaced the diaphragm with a modern one and the improvement in the sound quality was amazing. The older diamond disk records without the paper label have a lot of surface noise, but the records with the white paper label sound much better. If you find any 52000 series DD records, they are even better as they were recorded electronically.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jop Amberola 30
Victor Jr

Appreciate the Gojo and toothpick / glue fixes for the lid! Cabinet is 100% done. Now to figure out how good that diamond stylus actually is :o