Reproduction aluminum parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Reproduction aluminum parts

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Small update folks: I have the scanner now but it's a lot more difficult to work with than I expected. I'll keep trying with small parts and see if I can get it to work right.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

So is a reproduction VV 2-60 Tonearm bracket possible??? Please say it’s true!!!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Gunnar, if you ever pull up a way to make a good aluminum pulley for an Edison two-minute Gem Model A, let me know--I have a minty mandrel but the pulley completely came apart.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

AmberolaAndy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 pm So is a reproduction VV 2-60 Tonearm bracket possible??? Please say it’s true!!!
Fingers crossed- do the originals come apart?

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Not sure how similar it is but I 3D print using PLA and it is quite difficult to get things correct the first few times and takes a lot of experience with "tinkering" with everything to get things correct. Once they are right though it is simple to replicate.

-Travis

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

travisgreyfox wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 am Not sure how similar it is but I 3D print using PLA and it is quite difficult to get things correct the first few times and takes a lot of experience with "tinkering" with everything to get things correct. Once they are right though it is simple to replicate.

-Travis
It can be hit or miss. I still need to talk to this company- they are professionals so I ought to get quality results, I just need to work on getting the 3d models first.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Update here; Metal printing costs a lot more than I thought. I can, however, simply print things, especially so if they're out of sight. I know that ABS ought to equal the strength of pot metal, and if needed I could either anneal it or use ASA which is even stronger. I'm hoping to do the Victor changer parts, various fiber gears, and any other hidden parts that are needed.

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Gunnar,

ABS is too rubbery. By that in mean not hard enough a material for most phonograph parts. Nylon is much harder and better and just as easy to print.

Carlton Smith
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

You know, I hadn't heard of that. Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll have to buy a whole bunch in gray/black, but if I make 10-50 gears, etc, where it comes in a set, I'll color code them so it's easy to install.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

electrolaman 64 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:11 pm Gunnar,

ABS is too rubbery. By that in mean not hard enough a material for most phonograph parts. Nylon is much harder and better and just as easy to print.

Carlton Smith
Nylon isn't that easy to print. Nylon prints at a nozzle temp above 250 Celsius, and the max temperature on ours is 265. ABS prints way below that. The best competitors are PLA, ABS and Polycarbonate. All are rather rigid. We can't do ASA- it requires a 110 degree bed plate, we can only hit 100. Either way, if the gears mesh well we shouldn't have to worry about stress too much. If anyone has a machine that they're willing to guinea pig, I'd be happy to prototype, print, and send gears for testing, for free.