Reproduction aluminum parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Reproduction aluminum parts

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Also, due to the light weight I could make replacements for all those fragile fiber gears. The weight wouldn't be terribly more and it would work more consistently. Thoughts?

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

One big thing I'd like to do is a variety of horn cranes for cylinder machines. In my opinion, the ones currently available are too expensive, and I sure know a year ago I would have loved to be able to get a horn crane cheaply. I know that cygnet cranes are also in high demand, and I don't know if anyone reproduces those early cranes for the 14" horns. Also, reproducer shells! I know orthophonic and later Panatrope tonearms could use them, as well as a variety of lower end machines.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

How about a tonearm bracket for a VV 2-60?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The crook-tube at the end of Columbia cylinder Graphophone tone arms like the style BO(T), and reproducer assemblies for U-S cylinder phonographs. Should also mention that you can use filament that is designed for lost-wax casting, and cast (or have cast) the parts in real metal — brass, aluminum, etc.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

contessa
Victor Jr

Post by contessa »

edison standard 2-4 minute adapter?

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

JohnM wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:24 pm The crook-tube at the end of Columbia cylinder Graphophone tone arms like the style BO(T), and reproducer assemblies for U-S cylinder phonographs. Should also mention that you can use filament that is designed for lost-wax casting, and cast (or have cast) the parts in real metal — brass, aluminum, etc.
I know a guy who works with a firm that can 3D print metal. Like I may have said earlier, it's not quite that simple, but it will yield far better results than my rather amateurish attempts at casting. Casting aluminum is a LOT harder than you'd think, it's pretty hard to get it right and smooth.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

contessa wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 pm edison standard 2-4 minute adapter?
That's a great idea! As well as the 2-60 bracket that I don't believe is made.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:46 am
contessa wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 pm edison standard 2-4 minute adapter?
That's a great idea! As well as the 2-60 bracket that I don't believe is made.
Would love to enjoy my 2-60 machine for once!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:45 am
JohnM wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:24 pm The crook-tube at the end of Columbia cylinder Graphophone tone arms like the style BO(T), and reproducer assemblies for U-S cylinder phonographs. Should also mention that you can use filament that is designed for lost-wax casting, and cast (or have cast) the parts in real metal — brass, aluminum, etc.
I know a guy who works with a firm that can 3D print metal. Like I may have said earlier, it's not quite that simple, but it will yield far better results than my rather amateurish attempts at casting. Casting aluminum is a LOT harder than you'd think, it's pretty hard to get it right and smooth.
Well, they managed to cast them smooth in the old days! I actually have foundry experience, used to work at my brother-in-law’s foundry where we cast bronze and aluminum signage, mailboxes, tee markers, etc. I am a jeweler and metalsmith by trade and have done considerable lost wax casting. It’s a matter of casting technique and alloy whether you achieve a smooth surface or not. Aluminum alloys do shrink more than most other metals, so shrinkage rate would be factored into the CAD design, as well as alloy choice.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

JohnM wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:18 am
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:45 am
Well, they managed to cast them smooth in the old days! I actually have foundry experience, used to work at my brother-in-law’s foundry where we cast bronze and aluminum signage, mailboxes, tee markers, etc. I am a jeweler and metalsmith by trade and have done considerable lost wax casting. It’s a matter of casting technique and alloy whether you achieve a smooth surface or not. Aluminum alloys do shrink more than most other metals, so shrinkage rate would be factored into the CAD design, as well as alloy choice.
I think they can account for that shrinkage, I'll ask when I ask about prices. I believe what they do is use filament with metal flakes, then cook it to solidify the metal and melt out the plastic. My father is looking at buying an electric forge, so I may also look at lost PLA casting. Whichever is more efficient and accurate is the one I'll go with.