Reproduction aluminum parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Reproduction aluminum parts

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Hello,
Are there any particular phonograph parts that are in high demand, or not currently being made? I should be getting some equipment that would allow me to make aluminum reproductions fairly quickly, and not at a high price either. I know some of the parts for record changers like the 10-50 are in demand, but if there's anything else you folks can think of, please, let me know! All I'd need is one example to scan and I could make many from that.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Re: Reproduction aluminum parts

For clarification, I'm getting a 3D scanner. I have access to a way to 3D print metal objects- it's a bit more complex than that, but that's about how it works.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

One part that is always a problem is the arm that adjusts the governor on a Columbia AH and probably other models. I believe the originals are pot metal and cracked or broken.

MisterOpera
Victor O

Post by MisterOpera »

On a Columbia AZ, the sleeve that holds the carriage is often froze up. It has a little piece underneath that runs in the guide that is broken on mine. Just a thought.
Burdette

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's a second vote for Graphophone carriage sleeves and trunnions. Ever since Jean-Paul Agnard stopped making them, the hobby has been without a source.

Another good item would be the typical Eagle/AT aluminum reproducer, with "REPRODUCER" stamped into the upper surface.

The stylus bars for these reproducers are even harder to find. Last summer I spent an afternoon fabricating one out of brass and nickel-plating it. Small part; finicky work. I'd have gladly paid good money for one.

George P.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm For clarification, I'm getting a 3D scanner. I have access to a way to 3D print metal objects- it's a bit more complex than that, but that's about how it works.
If you want to do the phonograph world a big favor, figure out how to print the pulley to go on the end of an Edison Gem mandrel--so we can knock out the decayed potmetal ones & put in aluminum replicas. This can help fund your 10-50 aluminum part project. (And consider me in line to buy one of the pulleys--my keywind Gem Model A had a beautiful original mandrel but a crumbly potmetal pulley.)

Bruce v2
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Phonographs: is there anything else?

Post by Bruce v2 »

Hello,

I find myself in need of a horn elbow for a fairly rare Star rear mount phonograph. I have canvased the Forum with no results so looking at having one reproduced.
What are the steps to make a replacement part? Do you need an original, or photos and measurements?
And importantly approximately how much would a project like that cost?

Bruce

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Bruce v2 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:07 am Hello,

I find myself in need of a horn elbow for a fairly rare Star rear mount phonograph. I have canvased the Forum with no results so looking at having one reproduced.
What are the steps to make a replacement part? Do you need an original, or photos and measurements?
And importantly approximately how much would a project like that cost?

Bruce
I would need an original part to scan from someone, which I would then send back. I don't yet know the cost but it'll only be the price of printing as well as a little for me to keep, but I wouldn't imagine it would be much. Certainly less than tracking down an original part.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:16 am
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm For clarification, I'm getting a 3D scanner. I have access to a way to 3D print metal objects- it's a bit more complex than that, but that's about how it works.
If you want to do the phonograph world a big favor, figure out how to print the pulley to go on the end of an Edison Gem mandrel--so we can knock out the decayed potmetal ones & put in aluminum replicas. This can help fund your 10-50 aluminum part project. (And consider me in line to buy one of the pulleys--my keywind Gem Model A had a beautiful original mandrel but a crumbly potmetal pulley.)
Well, gee, how about the full mandrel mechanism? I bet aluminum would shine a lot like the nickel. The only conceivable problem I can think of is the weight, so one might end up having to adjust the speed control.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

phonogfp wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:08 pm Here's a second vote for Graphophone carriage sleeves and trunnions. Ever since Jean-Paul Agnard stopped making them, the hobby has been without a source.

Another good item would be the typical Eagle/AT aluminum reproducer, with "REPRODUCER" stamped into the upper surface.

The stylus bars for these reproducers are even harder to find. Last summer I spent an afternoon fabricating one out of brass and nickel-plating it. Small part; finicky work. I'd have gladly paid good money for one.

George P.
These and the other Columbia parts I know are in high demand and would love to do. I know aluminum is possible but I'll have to ask about brass.