Picked up this Brunswick at a Habitat For Humanity ReStore...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Picked up this Brunswick at a Habitat For Humanity ReStore...

Post by Dischoard »

... the case is in nice shape and should clean up well, but that tone-arm has all sorts of pot metal issues. Can anyone identify the model and let me know if this is worth fixing (and I know that term is subjective, I don't mean resale value, I mean quality of play)? I haven't taken apart the motor but I believe the crank isn't catching either. May be a simple fix but won't know until I dive into it.
IMG_6682.JPG
IMG_6683.JPG
IMG_6684.JPG
IMG_6685.JPG
IMG_6686.JPG

Dischoard
Victor II

Re: Picked up this Brunswick at a Habitat For Humanity ReStore...

Post by Dischoard »

I did find the original needle cup, it was down under the motor with its contents strewn about. That's great, because I've been looking for a gold needle cup for quite some time and this one came with one non-original to itself! Basically I paid $10 for a needle cup and it had a phonograph attached to it. That tonearm though is quite a mess. I think my only chance is to find someone with a trashed case and see who wants a working Brunswick more ;)

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I think I have a complete tone arm for that. I will check and get back to you today.

Jim

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Terrific, thanks Jim!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’ve found many cool 78s at “The Hab Store” as I like to call it. But never a machine. Nice find.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

I think you have found a very nice early Brunswick Ultona tone arm phonograph. It looks to me a wax finished golden oak. A plus in my opinion.
With access to this forum you should be able to sort out any issues with the arm or the motor. With the Ultona arm you will be able to play three different types of records: laterals like Victor, Pathé vertical and of course vertical Edison Diamond disc.
You may also want to join the Antique Phonograph Society as they have online a history of Brunswick phonographs.
All in all you have a really good score!

Glenn

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Email sent

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

It's a versatile machine that will play both lateral and vertical cut records. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a replacement tone arm and judging from the replies you've gotten so far, it sounds like you may already be on your way. As for a date, I'd say early '20s.

The Habitat for Humanity store near me never gets anything good. Only stuff from de-constructed 1990s McMansions for the most part.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

About 4 years ago I found an L-door VV-XVI at a Habitat For Humanity ReStore for $25. It was, amazingly, working and complete sans the original record binders and records. You could tell it had been roughed up a bit from being moved so many times but I couldn't pass it up at that price. Still had its nice gold Exhibition reproducer which was amazing.

Doug

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

So over the course of trying to get this back up and running I've found out that this is a pretty a-typical tone arm and reproducer. For one thing, that large screw that holds the reproducer arm onto the tone arm. It looks more like a Victor screw as the Brunswicks usually have a smaller screw and a washer.

The other is this fling-flanging pot metal retaining ring. I haven't seen any others like it and i'll tell you what... this WON'T come off...
IMG_6804.jpg