What are your longest frustrating long term projects?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

What are your longest frustrating long term projects?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’ve come to realize my triumph model B with my lack of money and skill with Triumph machines probably won’t be playing records any time soon.

EDIT: I possibly could be wrong about what I said above…

It got me thinking… what are some of YOUR machines you had to shelve for an extended time due to lack of skill, money, and available parts?

Or a Machine that just flummoxed, confused, baffled, bewildered, puzzled and perplexed you for so long?

(I remember on one of Doug/FellowCollector/Musicboxboy’s Videos about his Columbia AZ and Amberola VI videos he said he had those machines sitting for years until he figured out his problems)

And when did you finally were in a position to finish your very long term projects?

And what projects have you shelved that still haven’t been fixed?

I just feel like I’m kinda alone with my own situation.
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: What are your longest frustrating long term projects?

Post by Inigo »

Not alone at all... I have a broken tonearm in an aeolian vocalion machine since I bought it back in 1998... after years I've found a good replacement, although it's nickeled instead of golden finish.... yet I'm thinking about how to do with it. The machine works with an ugly repair, but I have to paint and install the new tonearm.
Another long project of recovering a portable, but I'm procrastinating with it...
I'm pretty sure many of us collectors have such skeletons in the closet... :D
I feel that things phonographic are never fully perfect...
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

By coincidence my most frustrating machine was also a Triumph, a very early (30360) Model A with 2/4 minute gearing, Diamond B and reproduction 11 panel Cygnet horn.
It's problems included slipping out of 4 minute mode into 2 minute during play, running out of feedscrew on the longest playing cylinders and grinding to a halt for no obvious reason.

I cannot claim the credit for solving these problems, as I handed the machine over to Paul Morris who lives less than an hour from me. He rectified a defective spring in the 2/4 minute clutch housing, moved the feedscrew slightly and reset the worn half nut. Even he took several attempts to get everything right, and remarked that the machine had been more of a Tribulation than a Triumph.

After that it worked perfectly, but when an Opera came my way a friend asked me to sell him the Triumph. It has served him well, and he has since acquired a Model O reproducer for it.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:54 am By coincidence my most frustrating machine was also a Triumph, a very early (30360) Model A with 2/4 minute gearing, Diamond B and reproduction 11 panel Cygnet horn.
It's problems included slipping out of 4 minute mode into 2 minute during play, running out of feedscrew on the longest playing cylinders and grinding to a halt for no obvious reason.

I cannot claim the credit for solving these problems, as I handed the machine over to Paul Morris who lives less than an hour from me. He rectified a defective spring in the 2/4 minute clutch housing, moved the feedscrew slightly and reset the worn half nut. Even he took several attempts to get everything right, and remarked that the machine had been more of a Tribulation than a Triumph.

After that it worked perfectly, but when an Opera came my way a friend asked me to sell him the Triumph. It has served him well, and he has since acquired a Model O reproducer for it.
At least you had someone to help you to get your Tribulation (I mean triumph) to work. I’m dealing with the same issue and have NOBODY near me to help!

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I have a long-term project who's name is Beethoven. An Edisonic Beethoven Diamond Disc phono we rescued several years ago in Knoxville, TN for $35 if i recall). I have finally gathered all of the pieces needed to reassemble it, but the it will need some wood work and the finish will need cleaned up. I hope it will be finished before next year's show in Schaumburg. Then I will need a gorilla to get it out of my basement!
Mike Wohl

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My long-term projects are kind of fun--the biggest one is my 1905-ish Edison Home Model B, 2-4 converted with a spot for a 24" witch's-hat horn. I bought it in October of 2020, I think, as there was a phonograph show about the same time as my birthday and I happened to be in the area. Sold some records, made some money at the show, trawled the tables, ended up with a Waltham 8-day octagonal wall clock from the early 1900s and the remains of the Edison phonograph.

So far I have refinished the case, found a mainspring barrel to put in the motor (which was missing several parts,) new small gear, new reproducers, bunch of other stuff mechanically, done some cosmetic stuff to it--I think it needs the governor bearings replaced for it to run properly, because when I tighten the setscrews holding the governor bearings the motor will stop. What has me held up is I will need to have the thing nickel-plated as all the nickel parts on it are shot. Ordinarily I'd just spray some WD-40 on steel wool & shine them a bit, but this is far beyond that--Nickel polish does no good either, as there's not enough left of it. And with all the fresh parts installed the rusty ones look even worse.

I am going to have all the parts plated again and then start actually re-assembling it.

The other long-term project is my GEM Model A keywind. The lid appears to have some damage to it; the ends don't fit into the hoop of the top. There is a gap. Also, no mandrel or mainspring, and I need to replace the winding shaft which is cracked where the key goes into it. I guess this is a "parts machine" for a lot of folks but I think I can make it run eventually; it's a nice small phonograph and I think the old GEM machines are kind of cute.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 pm I’ve come to realize my triumph model B with my lack of money and skill with Triumph machines probably won’t be playing records any time soon.
Have you tried reaching out to Terry Baer? The Edison Triumph isn't that hard to fix...

Garret

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I bought a portable machine a few years back that was in sparkling condition, but it had been stored for many years with the felt pad on the speed regulator pressed hard against the aluminium governor disc, with the result that the disc had distorted and the speed "fluttered" badly. The motor is a Steidinger, and after years of searching I finally found one on German ebay. Deep joy! Alas, the seller was not prepared to post to the UK, so it back to waiting!
Barry

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Garret wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:33 pm
AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 pm I’ve come to realize my triumph model B with my lack of money and skill with Triumph machines probably won’t be playing records any time soon.
Have you tried reaching out to Terry Baer? The Edison Triumph isn't that hard to fix...

Garret
But I’m low on money, and it’s a 2/4 minute converted machine. I’m not sure who’s Terry Baer on here?

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

I have a Harmony front mount disc machine [all original, good label, nice blue horn] that is patiently waiting for an original sound box/reproducer. I have owned this phonograph since around 2000 and it is still incomplete. This is the model where the elbow and sound box are all one piece. A similar part is used on Busy Bee and Aretino machines. I am holding out for an original - not reproduction....

I seem to keep missing them on ebay... and/or the price is awkwardly high when an example finally comes available.... :?

I get it, I know good original parts cost money. But, it is a Harmony front mount phonograph, not an original Berliner or Zonophone... :D

I have a few other project machines that have lingered way too long. But, this Harmony phonograph seems to always stand out in my mind!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph