Edison Standard C find with 30" horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
martinola
Victor III

Re: Edison Standard C find with 30" horn

Post by martinola »

Looking at other model C machines with near serial numbers show them as having Tall style cases like yours. I'd be curious if the lid was a Tall style or Late style with the "change of reproducers" sticker. The tall style has an additional ⅛" foot under the bottom moulding as opposed to the footless late style. Some of the earliest model D machines were actually in tall cases and seemed to be drilled for the 2 minute gear cover of the model C. It would be interesting if this were a conversion back to a model C. In any case, (forgive the pun) enjoy your machine!

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

martinola wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:28 pm Some of the earliest model D machines were actually in tall cases...
Yes, I bought a Standard D back in 1972 that was in the Model B type cabinet. Its serial number was 676769.

George P.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The base of this new Standard is a flat oak plank, quite thick. It's been awhile since I worked on a late machine. Maybe this actually IS the early style case like off a Standard B; in that case (ha!) I guess I better fit the correct one to it. This case is looking a bit hacked about.

I did not work on the Standard today; I'm formulating a shopping list. So far that's mostly shirts, trousers, a lightweight coat and a couple neckties that aren't worn out...that's also boring as all get out. I'm making my shopping list for phonograph stuff so I can patch up the Standard C. Also got to get a hold of some of the pieces for the Standard Talking Machine and get that thing all freshened up & ready to go out the door. So far it looks like this thing has the Model B style of gear cover on it with the high arch in the middle, but the Model D pin-striping and mandrel bushing. The Model B case is also interesting. I've got to catch up with some of the messages I got regarding the case and all that.

It also looks like the motor on my Victrola XIV is knocking again. That thing sounds like old age and rheumatism when it fires up, probably because it's been six--no, eight! -- years since I changed the oil and I had zero experience when I did. Still a great way into the hobby it was, and a decent Victrola it still is, too. At least it's reliable and with the big horn in it, it has a fine sound. I'm pretty sure my Diamond Disc machine sounds better, or that my Panatrope is better with playing 78s, but for me the Victrola and a stack of black label batwing records is still just plain fun.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Well this is a pity, I haven't worked on the Standard all August. I've been swamped. Need to reply to some of you all, and keep up with this more.

I've been looking into the mechanism and found only a couple real issues--the governor spring has been replaced by a piece of flat steel. That causes one weight to bob out further when the motor is set going.

I also found a mysterious hex nut floating around inside the bottom of the case. Turns out this was on the winding shaft, as a way to "adapt" it to use the large crank handle off a cabinet Victrola-style offbrand. I would have saved that crank for a different project, but it was drilled and tapped off-center by whatever fellow worked on this before, so into the scrap metal pile it went along with the shop-made gear cover.

I need to get the parts back that I accidentally sent to the wrong address--my friend in New England has them but he's been dragging his heels about mailing anything back. He's got my leather motoring jacket, my second-best pair of eyeglasses, and my package from The Phonograph Shop. Yet he sent me the most recent issue of The American Organist and an envelope that looks suspiciously like bills or some other BS. I should ask the American Guild of Organists to cancel my subscription. And I should order the remaining parts from Brian Parlier, at least enough to start tearing into the top-works.

Used to be, when I was working on phonographs, I would spend heroically trying to get them up and running--but now I get cold feet when it comes to getting repair supplies. I've even got "tight" about the cost of typewriter parts, use the same key to wind both mantel clocks, and begrudge myself the parts for my collection. It's getting weird.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

OK, deep in the Standard.

Serial is # 693815.

The bottom end of the case is confirmed to be the "Tall" style.

It also has damage to the front, and to the lid, and the bottom. I'm considering setting that aside, putting a Model B mech in there or something, and swapping out with a Late case as long as it's OK to put a Late case on a machine serialized in the 69xxxx range.

The lid is a "Late" lid, with the correct shipping block nailed on the inside to hold the gear cover of a Late machine, and the "Change of Reproducers" labeling.

I am considering just going with a Late case and calling it good, considering the machine has the scrollwork stenciling on the bedplate instead of grass tufts.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's been a long time but I bought a B case from Mr Rob Lomas and it looks fine.

It's going to get cleaned up and rebuilt as time permits.