Help identify Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

Re: Help identify Victrola

Post by outune »

I'm home under the weather today so just sitting at the computer-- Sorry if I'm posting too much-
Here is a machine like yours on Ebay (except in mahogany) The listing shows all the parts you will need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114675323193

The Ebay machine is missing the motorboard knob (front left corner) that you now have.

Brad Abell

Ben99
Victor Jr

Post by Ben99 »

Nope. I appreciate the help. Kinda excited.
I tried lubing the gears. Along side of that what would you do to help it with speed.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The speed issues are probably due to the old motor needing some rebuilding. There's a sort of knack to overhauling a Victrola motor, but it can be done. You'll want to read up on the forum about it, in the search section--bound to find you some good advice--and then when you're ready, go ahead & change the oil. Lubing the gears is one thing but grease binding inside the mainspring barrels (those two big canisters) will give you issues down the road. Each spring barrel, on yours, has two mainsprings, and they are going to be quite long and powerful.

I have a 1914 Victrola XIV, with an earlier style of motor equipped with three springs. It runs great but when I got it, the springs were not in good shape. One was broken because it was wound up with a chunk of dried, hardened grease between the coils, and the whole machine also thumped and rattled when it ran--it was in bad enough shape to shake the whole cabinet. I'd never worked on an antique anything before, but I still figured out how to give it a change of grease and oil, and a new spring. Still works. Yours will too!

Congratulations on getting the family Victrola. The XVI is a high-end model and was very popular among the well-heeled folks back in the day.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Get a proper turntable before you worry about the motor slowing down. I'm thinking that maybe your ill fitting turntable might be dragging on the cabinet.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for all the help everyone. I live in Idaho.
I'm in Oregon and Cliff Bolling, an excellent mechanical repairman, is in Castle Rock, WA.

Jerry B.

Ben99
Victor Jr

Post by Ben99 »

Does anybody have a picture of the correct turntable? I'm looking on ebay but they don't really say what models they fit. The one I have is 12'' Is that what it should be?

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi Ben-- I dug this one out earlier today- It may be an extra one i have-- I have to match up some spare motors I have to see if it belongs to something :) I'm in the process of trying to organize all my parts.
But this is what you are looking for- Gold edge, 12" turntable. One caution-- Over a period of time Victor used at least two different sized spindles on various motors.-- The earlier XVI's had nickel plated edges on their turn tables, but I pretty certain by the time they got to the motor like you have, all the turntables were gold edged. I have a few motors like yours on my shelves. I will check this turntable on one to see if it fits the spindle- I'm 90% certain it will, but will double check.
If indeed it's an extra table, I'll be happy to give you a price on it. I'll try to figure it out tonight or in the morning. I'm on the east coast so it's three hours later here :)

Brad
DSCN6012.JPG
DSCN6012.JPG (136.63 KiB) Viewed 436 times
DSCN6013.JPG
DSCN6013.JPG (137.12 KiB) Viewed 436 times
DSCN6014.JPG
DSCN6014.JPG (137.88 KiB) Viewed 436 times

Ben99
Victor Jr

Post by Ben99 »

Thank you very much. I hate bothering people with these questions but "what is the onderside of a xvi turn table look like" doesnt come up very often LOL So thanks for your patients.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Not a problem- Here's a little diagnostic you can do- Take your old turntable off. You will see three screw heads in a large triangle pattern. They are holding your motor to the motorboard. First tighten those screws to make sure the motor is secure. Then run the motor (without the turntable) Look at the spindle shaft to see if there is any wobble in it as it turns. If so, your spindle shaft is likely bent. The shaft should run smoothly with no wobble. If it does, then your wobble was probably from the wrong turntable. The spindle shaft should have a pin through it--side to side, that engages the slot in the correct turntable (see the pic I sent).

Brad Abell

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi Ben- Unfortunately, the only gold edged turntable I have is "spoken for". I have a complete motorboard and motor for a different machine that needs that TT..

As an interim step, until you find the correct gold one, you can use a nickel edged TT. I have lots of those and they show up on Ebay frequently.

Brad Abell