The Hardy Tinfoil Phonograph, &...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AllenKoe
Victor II

The Hardy Tinfoil Phonograph, &...

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi,

As the next issue (Sep) of our hobby's Magazine (AP) goes to Press, I am reminded of a couple of interesting topics.

There will be extensive coverage of the first tinfoil phonographs of which a small number survive, i.e. those finely-finished "E. Hardy" models made and sold in 1878-1880 (ca $40), and based on Edison's own (documented) design of Jan 8, 1878. Since we always like a good mystery, we decided to verify what the "E." stood for - and various sources, including the Internet, mainly claim that it was an abbreviation for "Edme." It's a nice enough French first-name (or capital letter), but I cannot find it in any period magazine, book, patent, or advertisement before 1986 - every such reference (to what E. stood for) is from after that date! Who was he? Is it true that he also made some of TAE's Electric Pens? The original machines (where the solid grooved mandrel acts as the flywheel) kept their secret well -- the brass plate on the base (each with its own unique serial no.), have "E. Hardy" too.

Has anyone come across this puzzle before? Well, now may be a good time to renew your subscription to AP, each Quarterly issue in full color (published for many years), and generally containing 60 pages of great features, information, and ads. It's also a practical way to show your support for our Hobby, and to spread the word.

Related to this is the matter of one of the first books ever published on the discovery/invention of the (tinfoil) Phonograph, a handsome (hard-to-find) French account of 130 pages, dated 1878 (by Pierre Giffard). There's a good mystery here too -- every example, of the few that have survived, is clearly identified as the "Eighth Edition." So where are the others? Are there any known '1st - 7th' editions out there? ;-)

Or was this an over-optimistic author-publisher who wanted to suggest that his book was selling like hot-cakes? ;-)

Allen

Lee
Victor I

Re: The Hardy Tinfoil Phonograph, &...

Post by Lee »

Look forward to the next issue! Lee

cmshapiro
Victor I

Post by cmshapiro »

The electric pen connection I find interesting, do you have any documentation that mentions Hardy making them? There have been 2 examples to surface of Edison electric pens from France, both of which had machined brass frames vs. the pens made domestically that had cast iron frames. One of these French electric pens was featured on American Pickers. I always questioned if these were legitimately licensed for manufacture in Europe by Edison, or if they were simply period knock offs. Was Hardy licensed by The Edison Speaking Phonograph Co. to manufacture the tinfoil machines he made in France?

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi,

Well, this article will be right up your alley. "E. Hardy" was indeed authorized to make Electric Pens for Edison, even before he made the little tinfoil machines (May 1, 1878). The pens were already being made in the US by Ezra Gilliland, by 1876(?), but when the pen patent was obtained in France, under French Law, the item was required to be physically made there. The same with the phonograph, they needed a French manufacturer.

And Hardy was quite the expert mechanic, having made quality gyroscopes only 5 years after they were invented by Foucault and he was a multiple prize-winner in several World Fairs for Telegraphs, Chronographs, and Precision Instruments, as early as 1858. He won 2 Golds in 1878 (Paris).

So, yes, the short answer is: Hardy was fully authorized by Edison to make Phonographs AND Electric Pens. The Tinfoil strips were supplied from the US by a NY firm called J. J. Crooke (a name which TAE constantly misspelled). Hardy also made several weight-driven models on a stand w/ an air-break governor, an old ad for which appears in the article. Somehow he also managed to display them both in an 1881 Melbourne (Australia) Fair.

Hardy's funeral was held in a 500-year-old Church, but his headstone has not yet turned up... his last daughter died in 1946.
He also invented a device to replace the "Canary in a Mine."

Allen