Help with a Columbia BI Sterling Disc Graphophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Help with a Columbia BI Sterling Disc Graphophone

Post by FellowCollector »

So at least we now know that the motor WILL run the turntable and pick up speed and run pretty normally without the governor while the motor board is down. Good...
If there is side to side play in the spindle that is not so good. And this could and would definitely affect the mesh (or lash) between the governor worm gear and the fiber spindle gear. This is more likely than not your trouble area. Or at least part of it. And for what it's worth, with all of the Columbia BI's I have in the collection, the fiber gear is pressed down farther than yours so that it is resting against the lower spindle gear. Yours has a space between and it may not be contacting the worm gear correctly even without any side to side play in the spindle.

CarterP935
Victor Jr

Post by CarterP935 »

FellowCollector wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 pm So at least we now know that the motor WILL run the turntable and pick up speed and run pretty normally without the governor while the motor board is down. Good...
If there is side to side play in the spindle that is not so good. And this could and would definitely affect the mesh (or lash) between the governor worm gear and the fiber spindle gear. This is more likely than not your trouble area. Or at least part of it. And for what it's worth, with all of the Columbia BI's I have in the collection, the fiber gear is pressed down farther than yours so that it is resting against the lower spindle gear. Yours has a space between and it may not be contacting the worm gear correctly even without any side to side play in the spindle.
Well, I would push it lower on the spindle gear, but the spindle gear is a replacement and will not let the fiber gear sit any lower. I can pull out the original gear, but most of the teeth are mashed flat and doesn’t mesh with the spindle drive gear. I guess I could take a file to those mashed teeth to try and let them mesh once again.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

This is getting fun. Okay, when the motor is running in the horizontal position, (theoretically at least), the governor shaft is being thrust towards the outermost of its 2 bearings. When the lid is open, the weight of the governor counteracts that thrust, taking the thrust load off of the end bearing. My thinking is, there's drag in the bearing. With the motor fully unwound, remove the end bearing and have a close look at the "pin end" of the governor shaft and look down inside the end bearing. You guessed it, there should be a small ball bearing inside to act as a thrust bearing.

CarterP935
Victor Jr

Post by CarterP935 »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:19 pm This is getting fun. Okay, when the motor is running in the horizontal position, (theoretically at least), the governor shaft is being thrust towards the outermost of its 2 bearings. When the lid is open, the weight of the governor counteracts that thrust, taking the thrust load off of the end bearing. My thinking is, there's drag in the bearing. With the motor fully unwound, remove the end bearing and have a close look at the "pin end" of the governor shaft and look down inside the end bearing. You guessed it, there should be a small ball bearing inside to act as a thrust bearing.
I do presume you are talking about the bearing that slides down around the pointy end of the governor, and this is the part that is in place. I am not sure if it is original, but I do not see any sort of ball bearing inside of it to act as a thrust bearing.
Attachments
C5F7F34D-AEE6-42E1-B507-4755AD03A9D7.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Yes, that's the piece I mean. It looks odd to me. Does it have some kind of dark colored core?

CarterP935
Victor Jr

Post by CarterP935 »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:26 pm Yes, that's the piece I mean. It looks odd to me. Does it have some kind of dark colored core?
Yes, it has some sort of rubber/plastic in the middle of it. And down inside of it isn't a bearing, just some oil I couldn't get out of it completely for the photo.
Attachments
IMG_5660.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

While I have certainly not "seen everything" in this hobby, I have definitely never seen that. Maybe others will chime in to the contrary, but I do not believe that's a proper end bearing. I would seek out a replacement.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Agreed- That looks to be homemade.. I have a box of Columbia motor parts I can look through to see if i have an extra bearing. If some one can share a picture of the correct one it would help me since I sold all of my Columbia machines.
Also- It may be Monday be fore I have a chance to look. Youngest daughter is getting married tomorrow-- we have a house full of family and lots to do! :)
My Victor III will be playing the music for the father-daughter dance :)

Brad Abell

CarterP935
Victor Jr

Post by CarterP935 »

outune wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:29 am Agreed- That looks to be homemade.. I have a box of Columbia motor parts I can look through to see if i have an extra bearing. If some one can share a picture of the correct one it would help me since I sold all of my Columbia machines.
Also- It may be Monday be fore I have a chance to look. Youngest daughter is getting married tomorrow-- we have a house full of family and lots to do! :)
My Victor III will be playing the music for the father-daughter dance :)

Brad Abell
I would absolutely appreciate that, but it is fine if you don’t have an extra bearing. I could take photos of the bearing out of my Columbia BN Disc Graphophone, but I am not sure if that would be the same size bearing or not.
I do hope you have a fantastic time tomorrow! :)