Help identifying gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bherold
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Bob

Help identifying gramophone

Post by bherold »

Hello,

I'm new to this site and to gramophones. I recently bought this unit (see pics) and was trying to figure out the year and make. Please help.

Thanks,
Bob
Overall
Overall
Motor
Motor
20220802_171042.jpg

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Re: Help identifying gramophone

Post by mrrgstuff »

Hi Bob, I'm pretty new here too :D Welome to the site.

You will hopefully get much better answers than from me. However I can say that it has an HMV model 32 motor and it looks like it has a Thorens Sonata soundbox. The soundbox is probably a later addition. This type of soundbox has been widely faked and although they are usually easy to tell apart, it's possible it is just a better modern fake. I made a video showing the differences here:
https://youtu.be/C9FyvIl6VD4
The HMV motor should indicate it is an HMV machine, however life is never that simple. The case appears to have had lots of holes and adjustments made to it, so the motor might not be original

Was there a horn with it?

bherold
Victor Jr

Post by bherold »

Thanks for the info! Yes there is a horn with it but I'm pretty sure it's a repro.
20220805_174927.jpg

bherold
Victor Jr

Post by bherold »

mrrgstuff wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:31 pm Hi Bob, I'm pretty new here too :D Welome to the site.

You will hopefully get much better answers than from me. However I can say that it has an HMV model 32 motor and it looks like it has a Thorens Sonata soundbox. The soundbox is probably a later addition. This type of soundbox has been widely faked and although they are usually easy to tell apart, it's possible it is just a better modern fake. I made a video showing the differences here:
https://youtu.be/C9FyvIl6VD4
The HMV motor should indicate it is an HMV machine, however life is never that simple. The case appears to have had lots of holes and adjustments made to it, so the motor might not be original

Was there a horn with it?
Also, it looks like the Sonata soundbox is real, exra screws, etc... One more question. The motor seems to be working fine but I'd like to clean it up and lubricate it. What do you recommend for oil/grease/solvents?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

bherold wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:51 pm Thanks for the info! Yes there is a horn with it but I'm pretty sure it's a repro. 20220805_174927.jpg
Crapophone horn: the elbow is a dead giveaway.

- Bill

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

According to the collectors' "bible" (His Masters' Gramophone) the only one that has the same cabinet as yours is the Model 5, which was made from September 1913 - June 1922. To be sure, check these measurements. It should measure 14.5" square and 6.5" high. The brake on yours is a wrong replacement, and not an HMV, and the motor has been replaced, as according to the book it should have a double-spring motor, not a triple-spring. Hope this helps?

Barry

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It is a double spring No.32 motor, not a triple spring, so therefore correct.
The brake is a Paillard so is definitely not correct.
The back bracket appears to be correct from what I can see, so it's well worth looking for an HMV horn,, elbow, Exhibition soundbox and brake to put the machine right.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:41 pm It is a double spring No.32 motor, not a triple spring, so therefore correct.
What on earth made me say the OPs' machine had a triple spring? The picture's clear enough!! Senile decay, probably! :lol: :lol:

Barry

bherold
Victor Jr

Post by bherold »

Phono48 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 pm According to the collectors' "bible" (His Masters' Gramophone) the only one that has the same cabinet as yours is the Model 5, which was made from September 1913 - June 1922. To be sure, check these measurements. It should measure 14.5" square and 6.5" high. The brake on yours is a wrong replacement, and not an HMV, and the motor has been replaced, as according to the book it should have a double-spring motor, not a triple-spring. Hope this helps?

Barry
Thank you!