Schoolhouse model speed indicator question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Schoolhouse model speed indicator question

Post by jboger »

I have a schoolhouse model that I'm currently working on. It looks like the motor has never been cleaned, which is what needs to be done. I'd like to drop the motor from the motor board. There are three bolts that secure the motor to the motor board--no problem there. However, I can't drop the motor because (I think) the speed indicator on the topside is hanging the motor up. I'd like to check with others who have worked on these speed indicators (not unique to the schoolhouse model) before I go any further.

I attached two photos. The first photo is of the topside and shows the indicator and a nut that secures the indicator to a rod. I believe, but would like verification, that if I remove that nut and take the indicator off, that this will free the motor from the motorboard. (You're right; I'm not being adventuresome here, and, yes, I could do that and see what happens, but I'd like to get some feedback.)

The second photo is of the underside. Mounted on the motor frame is a unit secured by two screws. The rod that is connected to the indicator (topside) enters this unit. There is a hairspring on the inside. If I remove those two screws that are used to secure this unit to the motor frame, and once the indicator is removed from the topside, will that speed control unit come off as a single piece? It looks that way, but if someone who has done this could tell me that's correct or otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate it.

John
Attachments
IMG_3001.jpg
IMG_2998.jpg

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Re: Schoolhouse model speed indicator question

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

Yes, you must remove the nut and indicator needle, then the motor will separate from the board.

Steve

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Now done. And the unit on the underside of the motorboard (secured by two screws) is also off. Motor frame has been removed. On to cleaning. What a mess. Two cockroach eggs sacs were included gratis.

Not my machine; that's partly why I'm extra careful, other than being naturally careful. Overall, this machine is in good condition. I'm probably the first to work on it, it's that filthy. When I removed the motor and motorboard I got a peek inside the cabinet. I was hoping to find a $1000 gold certificate from the Twenties, but no such luck. I did find plenty of debris and a hundred or so spent needles.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

That speed indicator mechanism needs to be freed up to operate correctly. The little coil spring is pretty weak and there can't be any friction in the shafts. I have seen a lot of these indicator mechanisms gummed up with old oil and sometimes grease. A lot of times it is seized prohibiting the motor from getting up to speed.